Parallels Desktop and M1/M2 Ultra chips

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

This thread has been created for collaborating on the issues that are found in Parallels Desktop on Mac computers with Apple M1/M2 Ultra chips. Don't hesitate to share your experience!

2. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

I really need a full solution for MacOS Monterey VM support. The current "solution" is not even half-baked.
    You can't...
    • change screen resolution
    • create snapshots
    • cut/paste from the host OS
    • connect external drives
    • change window size
    • change network settings
    • ... and just about everything else you provide for other VM types (or previous MacOS VM support in Paralles 16.x)
    -Blake

MatthewR20 likes this.
  3. WillH7

WillH7 Junior Member

Why are you trying to run a Monterey VM from within a Monterey host system?

4. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

I keep my work machine separate from my personal. Otherwise I would have to carry 2 laptops.

TOMO-ONE likes this.
  5. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello Blake,
    Yes, macOS VM on Mac computers with Apple M1 chips have limited functionality. However, some of the mentioned things can be adjusted this way:
    1. Enable Bridged network: https://kb.parallels.com/en/128519
    2. Change display resolution:
    Same as the knowledge base article above but instead the configuration file should contain the following details:

[Hardware]
    Display.Width=1920
    Display.Height=1080

6. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

Thanks for the tip!

Any guess on ETA for when macOS on M1 will no longer have limited functionality?

7. Mikhail Ushakov

I'm sorry to say we have no ETA to share for now. This is a quite complicated process since many parties are involved in it: either our engineers or our partners.

8. ThomasB78

ThomasB78 Bit poster

Is there any way to increase the processor count for a Windows 11 VM to more than 8?

9. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello, it depends on the number of CPUs you have embedded into your Mac. You can adjust the number of CPUs assigned to your virtual machine by following the steps below:
    1. Shut down Windows (Actions > Shut down).
    2. Open configuration settings of the virtual machine https://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Hardware > CPU & Memory > switch to Manual and select the required number of CPUs.
    Please be advised that we don't recommend to assign more than a half of the resources you have on your Mac since it might affect performance drastically.

10. ThomasB78

ThomasB78 Bit poster

Hi Mikhail, that's my point: The Mac Studio with M1 Ultra has 20 CPU cores. But for whatever reason, even if I create a new VM from scratch, I can only give it 8 CPU cores (Automatic suggests 8, and Manual does not let me assign more than 8). I have Parallels Desktop 17 Pro.

11. RyanP11

RyanP11 Bit poster

Is there any advice on what Mac Studio options help performance? I've had to keep to Catlina and Parallels 16 to get usable performance in coherence mode from 3 VM's running across 3 4K monitors?.

Does parallels on Apple Silicon make use of the GPU for non 3D/Game apps?

12. RyanP11

RyanP11 Bit poster

My current setup is below (pretty maxed out)...so really hoping is some config of the Mac Studio that will be faster for me. (Willing to buy a totally maxed out version, just not sure will be helpful or not)

Attached Files:

13. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi!
    We'd like to investigate the issue. Could you reproduce it again and collect a technical report at the moment of reproduction? Send its 9-digit ID to us in your reply to this response. Instructions on collecting a report are available at https://kb.parallels.com/9058 .

14. RyanP11

RyanP11 Bit poster

I have this case ID
    , which they responded 1 month later basically sending me the VM performance optimization guide. I have tried all of that 10x. It's not easy for me to reproduce now as I need to install a newer version of the OS, newer version of Parallels, and then reverse everything.

15. ThomasB78

ThomasB78 Bit poster

Hi Mikhail, if you mean the CPU core problem (my name is Thomas though), here is the ID: 393404852. If not just ignore :)

16. Mikhail Ushakov

Thanks a lot for this data!
    I've sent this information to our developers for further investigation.

17. NhanT2

NhanT2 Bit poster

Hi all,

I have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20CPU/48GPU/64gbRAM/1TBSSD. I am running Parallel Window 17 Business edition, the latest version, and Window 11 ARM.

Apparently, I cannot config Parallel to Game Mode even though I set the CPUs number < 8. Every time I set it, there is an error "The specified CPUs number is invalid/ The number of CPUs cannot exceed 8. Correct the value and try again." A user also has the same problem, which you can see at 2:29s. .

Another problem is that, while playing League of Legends on Parallel 17, the performance of both my Mac mini 8CPU/8GPU/16gbRAM and my Mac Studio Ultra is identical, showing the same FPS gameplay despite trying to assign different combinations of CPUs/RAM config in Parallel.

So is it because M1 Ultra is new, thus, the new chip has not yet been optimized by the current Parallel 17 version?

18. DanP9

DanP9 Bit poster

hi. I have the same issue. New Studio Ultra won't let me go beyond 8 cores in Parallels. I can go higher on my Mac Book Pro that has the M1 Max chip on it. Side by side speed comparison also shows Parallels on Ultra running way slower than Parallels on Max M1. I think there's a bug related to the core count...

19. Dmitriy6

Dmitriy6 Bit poster

Just as the post above I can confirm that Parallels can't be configured to more than 8 cores on a Mac Studio with Ultra chip. My model is fully specced out:
    Mac Studio Ultra
    20-Core CPU
    64-Core GPU
    128 Gb of RAM
    moreover, it will not let me assign more than 24 Gb of RAM - It just crashes...
    Yes, I'm using the Pro Edition that claims 32 CPUs and up to 128 Gb of vRam.
    Using it for 3D modeling in 3Ds Max.
    It rendered a scene x4 slower than my 2020 intel-based iMac that was x4 times cheaper

@MikhailU@Parallels , any progress on making parallels take full advantage of the Ultra Chip for us Mac Studio users that need MAX Performance?

- Dmitriy

Tender likes this.
  20. Brian33

Brian33 Bit poster

VMs are a common use case for testing. Eg: I run Windows 10 VMs on Windows 10 all day long to test things for work, without messing up my main computer OS. Same for Mac. Test a bunch of shit on your main mac and break it, or test in a VM that is fungible? no brainer - run MacOS 12 in a VM for testing.

Grey Shadow likes this.