Windows 11 ARM Boots to Black Screen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnC68, Jun 7, 2022.

1. JohnC68

JohnC68 Bit poster

Hi,

I am running Parallels with Win 11 ARM EDU which is up to date on both counts. Have just updated to Mac OS Ventura and when i start my VM everything goes well at first. Boots up, logs in and gets to desktop and then goes to a black screen with nothing visible or usable - Cant update Parallels tools or take any further action. I hear the occasiona beep as if its trying to do something but alas no screen action at all and have to hard reset the VM and then it all happens again.

Just a heads up that something is amiss with the new version of Mac OS

2. JamieP6

JamieP6 Bit poster

Same here. Logon is fine and I got a glimpse of the desktop but then permanent black screen. Upon initial install of Ventura it worked but since a macOS reboot I only get the black screen. Can't find a workaround yet.

3. ArturG2

ArturG2 Bit poster

Same problem

4. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

Exact same issue here. It was working fine until it forced a reboot with latest Parallels tools following app update yesterday and now I get a black screen after boot. I'm trying to find previous version of Parallels to downgrade one rev to restore operation.

5. JohnS30

JohnS30 Junior Member

Let's hope there's a fix while Ventura is still in beta. I really need my VM and this alone will prevent me from moving to the beta.

6. JamieP6

JamieP6 Bit poster

I already had the latest version of Parallels and it was actually following a restart of the Mac (and therefore Parallels) when the issued started so not sure an older version of Parallels will fix it. Very happy to be proven wrong!

7. blesio

blesio Bit poster

Found a workaround, when you get the black screen, suspend the machine, wait till it suspends, close the window of the machine and then using the control centre unsuspend it (RUN it) it will start working again :D

JamieP6 likes this.
  8. blesio

blesio Bit poster

Unfortunately you have to do this again after every resolutuon change, main Parallels Virtual Machine window resize...... and, what's better it's assosiated to Parallals Tools, when Tools aren't installed it's working fine, although you don't have network and such, so...

9. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @JamieP6, Please refer to this KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/123094 to reset the virtual machine and check. Thanks, Parallels Team.

10. ArturG2

ArturG2 Bit poster

It didnt help. Only start\stop VM help

11. ZenonP1

ZenonP1 Bit poster

You can create a keyboard shortcut to change the screen resolution in Parallals Tools, which helps to change the resolution quickly.

12. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @ArturG2, Reset did not work, and Stop/started worked. Glad the issue is resolved. Please get back to us if have any further issues. Thanks, Parallels Team.

13. ArturG2

ArturG2 Bit poster

Start\Stop can help for 2-3 minutes, and then black screen. I think it not fixing this problem

AmonF1 likes this.
  14. JamieP6

JamieP6 Bit poster

Hi tried but unsuccessful. Suspend seems the better method but isn't 100% either and doesn't stop the issue from reoccurring.

15. BrianJ15

BrianJ15 Bit poster

Same here. Confirmed it's not just Windows 11. Also doesn't work with Ubuntu and Kali Linux variants.

16. MikeE

MikeE Junior Member

Suspend/Run works but issue will need repeating often. Hope Parallels can fix this with possibly a Tools update.

17. MickaelP

MickaelP Bit poster

Hello, After many research, I found a solution in order to continu to work with my VM.
    - Uninstall parallels tools
    - Reboot windows. After this, you can work with the VM without black screen.
    - Install parallels tools and you must NOT RESTART.
    - Launch services.msc and disable this 2 services :
    - Parallels Coherence Service
    - Parallels Tools Service.
    -Restart VM
    I haven't see what is not available without this 2 services. I have exchange folder between host and VM, I have network and good screen Resolution.

18. BrianM36

BrianM36 Bit poster

Unfortunately I couldn't complete all of them steps:
    - I uninstalled Parallel Tools
    - Restarted windows

But still get the black screen...

19. BrianM36

BrianM36 Bit poster

Following fix worked for me:
    in the Win11 VM configuration:
    Options > Applications > disable Share Windows applications with Mac.

RushHour2k5 likes this.
  20. RyanW16

RyanW16 Bit poster

This worked for me as well. The KB article had me reinstalling everything for it not to work again. Everything was working fine before the update.