Cursor disappears after upgrade to v17

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ShamsS, Feb 3, 2022.

1. ShamsS

ShamsS Bit poster

I'm running Windows 10 Bootcamp partition in the Parallels VM, on a 3.6 Ghz i9 27" iMac 2020. Parallels used to work fine. However, after upgrading to Parallels V17, the cursor not longer appears in Windows. I've read the forums and tried the solutions suggested:
    • Under Configurations > Mouse & Keyboard select mouse: Don't optimize for games, and deselect "mouse cursor sticks at edge"; there is no "smooth scrolling" checkbox
    • I have also attempted reinstalling parallel tools from the actions menu. Windows shows a dialog asking what to do with Drive D, but of course I can't select it because... no mouse.
    • Likewise, I tried to uninstall Parallels Tools from within the VM by tabbing around the interface. but Parallels Tools doesn't show up in the list.
    • I have copied pd-tools-win.iso into the VM, rebooted into windows directly and tried running the installer there but nothing happens.
    • I have tried uninstalling Parallels Tools while booted directly into Windows, but Parallels Tools does not appear in the uninstall list.

At this point I'm stuck. The VM is useless without mouse support. Any suggestions?

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please uninstall Parallels Desktop and reinstall it.

3. ShamsS

ShamsS Bit poster

I have deleted parallels, emptied the trash, & restarted. Then downloaded the installer and reinstalled. I still have the same problem.

4. ShamsS

ShamsS Bit poster

Still stuck on the same problem. Unfortunately when I google "parallels windows 10 no cursor" the top response is my own unresolved question.

5. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we request you to create a support ticket by following this KB article to that we can assist you via remote session.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Optimizing the mouse for games might solve the problem of the cursor disappearing, but it also may create another one where the cursor zips across the screen when you try to move it (Pick your poison):
    1. Shut down the Windows VM if it's running.
    2. Right click on the "Windows" item in the Parallels Desktop window and select "Configure...".
    3. In the Windows Configuration window, select the "Hardware" tab, then the "Mouse & Keyboard" item.
    4. Next to "Mouse", select "Optimize for games".
    5. Start (or re-start) the Windows VM to see if it 'solved' it.

7. Qetesh

Qetesh Bit poster

Not OP but this actually solved the same problem for me. Game optimization was set to automatic. I disabled it and the mouse works normal again. The problem must have been introduced with a recent parallels update since I noticed it today for the first time. Everything was working fine the last time I used this VM but I don't use it daily...

Mark Fine likes this.
  8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Not sure when this started happening, but I'm noticed this problem in Linux and Windows VMs, manifesting in different ways for quite a while.
    BTW: Nice use of Vala Mal Doran's Goa'uld name.

9. SteveD6

SteveD6 Bit poster

I have been dogged by this pesky problem since the last two updates (i.e. v17 & v18). The solution proposed above does not solve the problem for me. Worst of all, the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it appears to depend on the webpage I'm on, other times not. I use Opera as my prime Win10 browser, could that be the problem?

10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Unfortunately this is at startup before a VM even shows a cursor. It's more likely due to the timing of when Parallels hooks the cursor because it can be re-established by simply changing the window display via a desktop shift, thus forcing the OS to re-initialize it.

11. SteveD6

SteveD6 Bit poster

SunnyK1: Thanks, but that's not really very helpful. Do you mean the VM drivers, the Mac drivers or all of them? Do you mean just the mouse drivers or the drivers for all peripherals? On top of these questions, I'm tempted to add that if the only advice available is advice like this involving hours of searching and troubleshooting, then I think it will be easy for me to stop using Parallels and stop paying for it. In a word: Not good enough.

12. Nick41

Nick41 Bit poster

13. Nick41

Nick41 Bit poster

Found a fix!
    navigate to `Boot Order -> Advanced Settings` and type `devices.usb.mouse=0` in the text field under 'Boot flags'

14. marcusS

marcusS Bit poster

Nick41, many thanks for your tip. Setting the mouse in 'Optimise for Games' and 'devices.usb.mouse=0' solved this pesky problem for me in Windoze-XP. The mouse pointer constantly was disappearing while in a popup config window. But now everytihing is working fine. Many thanks !

15. MarkB30

MarkB30 Bit poster

Thanks for writing Windows as Windoze like a cool kid, so no one searching for a similar issue with Windows XP could ever find it.

16. MarkB30

MarkB30 Bit poster

FYI if you do this on Parallels 19, with a Windows 11 guest (M2 MacBook Air, OS 14.2, Win11 ARM64) , you will not have a mouse cursor at all in the VM.

I tried going into settings, Hardware > Mouse > Don't optimize for games. Seems to be working for the moment.

17. Talon

Talon Bit poster

I got the same Laptop as you but that also doesn't seem to be working. My cursor functionalities just stop after downloading certain software in the VM. Anyone happened to have found another fix?