Can I group VMs in the Control Center View?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChrisP6, Oct 6, 2016.

1. ChrisP6

ChrisP6 Bit poster

I have a demonstration and test environment consisting of four VMs. I also have a dozen other VMs that I use regularly.

I'm able to re-arrange them in whatever order I want but would prefer to put those four, or others, in their own VM Group. The long last of VMs is a PIA to scroll through and of course will only get longer as I create new environments.

I'm using the Compact View option but would still prefer to put my related VMs in their own groups. I can't find a way to do this and thinking that maybe it's a feature request others have considered. What say ye?

AllanS1 and NoelM1 like this.
  2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @ChrisP6 ,
    This feature is not available in Parallels Desktop. We will take your take your feedback and share it with our dev team. Thank you for sharing this suggestion.

3. W.L

W.L Bit poster

Hello Support,

Any news on this?

Regards,
    W.L.

4. GlennS4

GlennS4 Bit poster

I'd be interested in this, too. I'm in the same boat as ChrisP6. I have many VMs and the list continues to grow as new projects develop. Being able to group VMs would seem to be a standard requirement.

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @GlennS4 , as of now a list of Parallels virtual machines in Parallels Desktop Control Center cannot be re-ordered manually . However we will share this feedback to our development team.

6. GlennS4

GlennS4 Bit poster

Thanks for the quick response, Arun.
    I assume you meant to say the list of Parallels VM can only be re-ordered manually. What I'd like to see is the ability to organize VMs into groups that could be collapsed in the Control Center.

7. As of now, it is not possible to group the list of virtual machines displayed in control center menu. However, you can post your request in features and suggestions so that it will be considered for future development.

8. AllanS1

AllanS1 Junior Member

I don't know how old this post is but we cannot be the only ones who desperately need to be able to group VMs in control centre? I'd like to revive this thread. I have 20 VMs that I regularly use. I absolutely hate scrolling up and down to find what I need. Please please give us the ability to group VMs in control centre! I know I can already manually sort them but this is not what I'm asking. I need to group them. It is 2020 and I am using the very latest Paralles version on my Mac.

9. AllanS1

AllanS1 Junior Member

----
    I've just revived this thread. I desperately need this!

10. ChrisL28

ChrisL28 Bit poster

Another bump to this request. It's really a very valuable feature to have for those of us who have multiple environments - other wise we have to stick to naming the the Virtual Machines really weird things instead.

11. beta_fhlipZero

beta_fhlipZero Bit poster

I've accomplished this using a simple bash script on macs, basically do a:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prlctl list -a to get the ideas of your VMs
    then make a script that runs:

/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prlctl start ID &
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prlctl start ID &
    so on and so forth. Just wanted to drop this idea for those asking for this

ScottS17 likes this.
  12. ScottS17

ScottS17 Bit poster

I would also like the ability to group VMs. I have over 20 VMs and it gets taxing scrolling up and down to find the relevant one. This should be a no-brainer @parallels!

13. Tharun@P

Tharun@P Moderator

Hello, If you have multiple Windows, Linux, and macOS virtual machines, then they cannot be grouped into one Windows, Linux, or macOS like folder in the control center. You can only rearrange the order of the virtual machine. Thanks.

14. YanashD

YanashD Bit poster

I would also like to be able to group VMs like a folder tree.

VanA likes this.
  15. VanA

VanA Bit poster

This is something Im looking for as well. I build quite a few VMs for POC & some applications takes 5 VMs. So it would be nice to group up those 5 VMs or so into a single location like a group that shows under the list of VMs & then you click on the group & it expands showing you all the VMs in that group.
    Maybe have it with Group Name then a >.
    When the user expands the group it would look like this Group Name ^ (But upside down) below that it would show all the VMs in that group with a specific group color or indent so the user doesn't get confused which VMs are in the group & which VMs are not in the group