Cannot run Dune: Spice Wars - OpenGL 3.2+ error

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MohammedA22, Jul 25, 2022.

1. MohammedA22

MohammedA22 Bit poster

Hi
    I am trying to run Dune:Spice Wars on Parallels on my Macbook pro, however I get an OpenGL Error message.
    Any idea how to work around this?
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. RitschyP

RitschyP Bit poster

I have the same problem ...

3. SeanCs

SeanCs Bit poster

4. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @MohammedA22, Please share the 9-digit technical report ID of the Virtual Machine when you are getting this error.

5. SeanCs

SeanCs Bit poster

Hi Asish, in case this is the same error - here is my reportID (Mac M1 vs Intel-Mac).

6. OnselA

OnselA Bit poster

Same problem here. Just bought Dune and disappointed to find out that it doesn't run.

7. Robd15

Robd15 Bit poster

I have the exact same problem trying to run Dune on a Windows 10 virtual machine on my Mac. OpenGL 3.2 has supposedly been supported by Parallels since version 16, so what gives?

8. DirkJ4

DirkJ4 Bit poster

Same for me. I'm running on an M1 Mac. Same error - something about OpenGL 3.2. I'm hoping we will hear something from the Parallel's team.

9. JoeH14

JoeH14 Bit poster

Getting the same thing. I purchased it purely because of Kurt Schmucker's review and I'm feeling pretty salty about it :) I've requested a refund but I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a solution because I really want to play that game!

10. JoeH14

JoeH14 Bit poster

I should mention I'm getting this error running a Windows 11 VM on Parallels 18 on an M1 MBP (macOS 12.6, 64GB).

11. enwin

enwin Bit poster

Since April 2022, to force Direct X you need to set a launch option for the game.
    Right click on the game > Properties > General and from the Launch options field add "hlbootdx.dat" without the quotes.
    Now the game will start using Direct X not OpenGL and it will run pretty good

Attached Files:

12. DirkJ4

DirkJ4 Bit poster

Thank you! This did the trick.

13. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Thanks!

14. ArthurL1

ArthurL1

Hello @Asish@Parallels @Bhargava@Parallels
    Any news on this investigation? This game does not work well on DirectX, it was designed for OpenGL. On DirectX the engine cannot buffer which creates lots of lags and makes the game near unplayable.
    It would be great if this issue could be fixed.
    Many thanks.

15. EmirU

EmirU Bit poster

Everyone, you Should run Direct X version of Dune instead of OpenGL, when you starting Dune on steam,

16. EvanC11

EvanC11

> This game does not work well on DirectX, it was designed for OpenGL.

+1

I can get the game to launch, but can't start a match. The screen turns blue and then the game crashes.