MS Teams - Camera/Video Problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AndreF12, Aug 15, 2022.

1. AndreF12

AndreF12 Bit poster

Hi
    After updating from version 17 to 18, the camera in MS Teams no longer works, i.e. there is always a camera freeze after 2-3 seconds.
    I had to downgrade to 17 now it works again.

Does anybody have the same Problem? Are there any possible solutions?

BW,

Config: MacBook Pro 14, 32GB,

2. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

3. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Andre,
    Would you revert back to Parallels Desktop 18 and collect a technical report at the moment of reproduction as outlined in https://kb.parallels.com/9058 ? Share the report ID with us, please. We're going to escalate the issue further.

4. mlbushnell

mlbushnell Bit poster

Good afternoon,
    I am having the same issue after updating to Parallels 18. I have Windows 11 Pro installed, and if I start a Teams video chat my camera will freeze after about 2 seconds. Please advise if there's anything I can do to help resolve this issue. Thank you!

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    We can't reproduce the issue locally, but we're very interested in getting additional details about the issue you have. If you can reproduce the issue again, please generate a technical report at the moment of reproduction and send its ID to us in your reply: https://kb.parallels.com/9058 .

6. MicahK1

MicahK1 Bit poster

I am also having this issue with the same setup (Windows 11 Pro, Teams for work, Parallels Version 18.0.0 (53049)) and will generate a technical report. Some additional information:
    • All video for Teams freezes, not just my own camera's video - including screensharing video
    • I can unfreeze the video by clicking the chat button, which forces a refresh when it adjusts the meeting video to accommodate the addition or removal of the chat pane
    • After unfreezing video, it will work again for a few seconds before freezing again
    • Having been on a few video calls, it feels like video freezes more rapidly when there are multiple people plus a screenshare, rather than just a single other video stream
    Technical report ID: 404921639

7. MichaelW79

MichaelW79 Bit poster

Hello,
    I having a similar issue on my Intel MBP with Windows 10. Sometimes video is running for more than 2 seconds but often it stops. I can "reactivate" video by resizing the window with the video chat. Then it is working again for some seconds before video freezes again.

8. RussC1

RussC1 Bit poster

I am having this same problem. Camera freezing in MS TEAMS with parallels 18 pro - Version 18.0.0 (53049),
    , imac pro late 2014 retina, windows 10.

9. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you a lot for the provided details and a technical report shared with us. I've just submitted the issue to our developers.

10. MichaelW79

MichaelW79 Bit poster

FYI. Disabling GPU hardware acceleration seems to fix the freezing for me.

11. MicahK1

MicahK1 Bit poster

You're welcome, and thank you! Some other tidbits if helpful:
    • Resizing the pane manually also forces a refresh and re-establishes video
    • I took a video call on teams this morning while on battery / in travel mode and the experience was MUCH worse - it froze in less than a second every time I corrected it, and audio was quite jittery as well
    • In case the technical report doesn't include this (though I assume it does), my laptop is a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) running macOS Monterey 12.5

12. ciphertxt

ciphertxt Bit poster

+1 to everyone else. I'd like to avoid reverting to v17, but if that's what it takes... (v17 was rock solid on the same Windows client/Teams client version so this appears to be a regression in the GPU driver in Parallels Tools and how MS Teams utilizes it).
    • Parallels Desktop Pro Editiion / Version 18.0.0 (53049)
    • Windows 11 Pro 21H2
    • Latest version of Parallels tools installed (and reinstalled :))
    • Video *only* freezes in Microsoft Teams. Client applications like Windows Camera *do not* freeze.
    • Disable HW acceleration in Teams (both in the Desktop/Electron app and the browser) make no difference
    • While video is frozen on the Parallels client, *sometimes* it doesn't freeze for folks on the other end of the meeting. Sometimes it does. No matter what it's always frozen on my end until I resize the Teams window. After a resize for 1-2 the video works, then freezes again.
    • This also seems to affect screen shares. Anytime I share my screen or a window, participants in the meeting only see a green screen.
    Technical report 405117610 submitted.

13. mlbushnell

mlbushnell Bit poster

I reported this under technical report 405226448. Hopefully with this and the others in this thread you can get this resolved.

14. ciphertxt

ciphertxt Bit poster

This is a common troubleshooting step. Unfortunately it doesn't work in this case. GPU acceleration in the disabled state in both the browser and desktop app yield the same results - frozen video after 1-2 seconds.

15. ciphertxt

ciphertxt Bit poster

Per supports guidance, I also tried updating to the v18 Technical Preview. This did not resolve the issue and unfortunately I've had to revert to v17 where things are still working. Participating in screen shares and being able to view remote video is critical to my day-to-day activities. For those of you in the same dilemma, reverting to v17 does appear to be a viable option for the time being.

I'm hoping that the team at Parallels can resolve this soon so we can all get back on the latest and greatest v18 release.

16. RichardY2

RichardY2 Bit poster

+1 running into this same issue. I submitted Technical Report 405509080.

Parallels please help! This bug is preventing critical day-to-day work.

17. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    As a workaround, kindly perform the following steps:
    1. Shut down your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down).
    2. Go to the virtual machine configuration (see https://kb.parallels.com/117287 ) and click "Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Boot flags".
    3. Paste the following text in the "Boot flags" field:
    video.dx_profile=13
    4. Run the virtual machine and see if the issue persists.

If this instruction hasn't helped, kindly collect another technical report and post its number here.

18. RichardY2

RichardY2 Bit poster

So far this has worked for me for about 10-15 minutes of Teams video. Thank you! I will post back if anything changes.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  19. ciphertxt

ciphertxt Bit poster

Is there a support doc that details what the various values for video.dx_profile do? E.g. video.dx_profile=13 means this, video.dx_profile=4 means that, etc.

20. ciphertxt

ciphertxt Bit poster

Fair enough. I've tested this change and it appears to clear things up. I've been in 6 hours of meetings today with no freezes.

Since the boot flag cleans things up, how do we know when it's safe to remove the flag in future releases if/when this bug is addressed?