Ventura Crash After install completes during reboot

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by tmo1138, Nov 6, 2022.

1. tmo1138

tmo1138 Bit poster

Hello,

Has anyone been successful in getting Ventura to "just work" as a guest OS in Parallels Pro Version 18.0.3 (53079) for mac?

I looked around to find any KB articles and the only ones I can find are for M1 (not Intel).

Thanks.

2. SteveN39

SteveN39 Bit poster

Yes, I've got a Ventura VM running on an Intel iMac - parallels pro 18.0.3 and macOS 12.6.1 on the host.

I installed the VM as macOS 12.6 from the recovery partition (needed a couple of reboots to get it working) then upgraded that VM to macOS 13.0 Ventura. Works great.

3. tmo1138

tmo1138 Bit poster

Tried that too... all I get is a Grey Screen of death and a reboot.

4. SteveN39

SteveN39 Bit poster

That's frustrating!

Must admit I had similar with trying to install (or upgrade to) any version of macOS since Catalina. It was only after upgrading Parallels Pro to v18 did I manage to get a new VM with Monterey (macOS 12) installed; it's that one which I upgraded to Ventura.

Happy to compare config settings if you think it'd help.

5. tmo1138

tmo1138 Bit poster

Any config settings you can share would be helpful.. I'm kinda out of ideas at this point.. :-/

6. SteveN39

SteveN39 Bit poster

I'm assuming the most likely causes of the VM failing to boot is to do with graphics, networking or other devices; no real evidence for this just a gut feel after 30 years working with IT hardware & infrastructure.

So, a few of the config settings I have on my Venturer VM:
    Options
    Sharing : Share custom folders, share cloud folders Map Mac volumes to VM - all ticked
    Full Screen - no
    Picture in Picture: enabled but never us it
    More Options:
    • Time : sync from Mac
    • Share clipboard enabled
    • Update Parallels tools auto - enabled
    Hardware
    CPU & Memory : 2 Processors; 6GB RAM
    Graphics: Memory - 64MB; Resolution: Best for Retina display (host is a 5k 27" iMac)
    Network: Shared Network. Advanced: Virtue network adapter (I haven't set this, so presumably the default)
    USB & Bluetooth:
    • Share BT devices and Share smart card devices - both disabled
    • USB Connection Preferences - all devices are Mac only; and Ask for those added whilst VM running
    • Advances: USB 3.1 - Enabled
    All the rest default other than SmartGuard enabled in Backup

Any config settings that I changed I did before upgrading to Venturer.

Hope all that helps...

7. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

8. PavelSeo

PavelSeo Bit poster

Must admit I had similar with trying to install (or upgrade to) any version of macOS since Catalina. It was only after upgrading Parallels Pro to v18 did I manage to get a new VM with Monterey (macOS 12) installed; it's that one which I upgraded to Ventura.

9. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello tmo138,

Thank you for your feedback.

As per your post, we can find that your Macbook Pro is from late2013.

If you are using the same macbook to install Ventura, unfortunately, the situation you encountered is related to the fact that in order to run a macOS Ventura virtual machine, your host must support a macOS Ventura installation.

Your MacBookPro is not on the list of supported macOS Ventura https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213264

If you are using another machine, in order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Should you have other questions on that, feel free to let us know.

Have a nice week!

10. ThomasB62

ThomasB62 Bit poster

> the situation you encountered is related to the fact that in order to run a macOS Ventura virtual machine, your host must support a macOS Ventura installation.

Where is this severe limitation documented? For me virtualization is all about abstraction away the hardware. If I need to buy new hardware to get newer MacOSX version support inside parallels this get way too expensive.