Ventura fails to install on 18.0.3 when disk size changed.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by mkrueger, Dec 10, 2022.

1. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

I can create a Ventura 13.0.1 VM using default Parallels settings, and it boots fine. However if I check "customize settings before installation" and ONLY change the disk size from 256 to 2TB, it fails. The installation gets all the way the end with "About x minutes remaining..." and hangs with close to 100% CPU utilization. I can wait for many hours with no success.

This same problem occurs if I attempt to upgrade an existing VM to Ventura 13.0.1 that has a larger than default virtual disk. This has caused me many hours of grief and VMs that I cannot use anymore.

The installation procedure I am using it:
    1) click plus button from Control Center
    2) click "install windows or anther OS from a DVD or image file"
    3) continue button
    4) Choose manually
    5) select a file (blue text)
    6) selece "macOS image file.iso" that Parallels created from Ventura 18.0.3 installer
    7) continue button
    ---here is where if I check "customize settings before installation" it fails as explained; but if I do not it succeeds.---
    8) create button
    9) Follow the normal Apple installation instructions including clicking the destination disk icon

Can anyone else reproduce this bug?

I am running a 2018 Mac mini with 6-core i7 BTO, 64GB RAM, and macOS 10.14.6.

2. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @mkrueger, Please download the Parallels Desktop latest version 18.1.1 from this official link and install it on your Mac. Kindly check if the issue still persists then reach us back.

3. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

I had been running that version. I deleted it and downloaded it from the link provided. I installed it again, then followed the normal installation process as I outlined; only changing disk size to 2TB.

Here is where it is now stuck. This time it is at 1% CPU. I will let it run all night; but it's been stuck over an hour.

I am running Parallels 18.1.1 (53328) and the "macOS image file.iso" Parallels created from Ventura 13.1 installer.

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 5.59.46 PM.png

4. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

I left it running for more than 24 hours with no change. Still stuck at the same screen shown in my last post.

I just stopped it. I created a new VM with exact same procedure but NOT clicking "customize settings". It ran through the process and I have a working Ventura 13.1 VM. Unfortunately the default disk size of 256GB is not enough for my needs.

Any suggestions?

5. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

There seems to also be a problem with network support. Even with default settings I have to fully disable the network adapter in VM setting in order to get the VM to boot. Otherwise it will often lock up during boot with CPU showing 100% utilization.

6. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

Still standing by for a fix for this.