Gray box showing up when running coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by toonetown, Feb 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. toonetown

toonetown Member

I am running Windows 11 on PD18 in coherence mode. Periodically throughout the day, a large gray box will show up for about 10-30 seconds covering the left half my desktop. It looks and feels like parallels is trying to show a window, but nothing is shown. When I switch out of coherence, the box goes away. Is there any guidance as to what could be causing this? It seems to have started all of a sudden - without a change to my parallels configuration, installed version, or windows configuration.

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello,
    Parallels Desktop 18.3.0 with the fix for the issue has just been released. Kindly update Parallels Desktop to 18.3.0 and check if it works for you.

3. omriamos

omriamos Bit poster

Same here.
    I'm using coherence mode 100% of the time.. Windows 11 is running in the background, and set to sleep when not in use (maybe it's related?).
    Every once in a while when I open a Windows program (even just the windows file explorer) I will also get this unclickable gray box window that covers about 33% of my screen (left side) for a few seconds, until it disappears by itself.

4. JasonO7

JasonO7 Bit poster

i've got the same thing out of nowhere on my new m2 max 14" macbook pro. it's really annoying.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello,
    Thank you a lot for bringing this issue up!
    Kindly reproduce the issue again and collect a fresh technical report right at the moment of reproduction as per KB https://kb.parallels.com/9058 . Send me the 9-digit number here, please.

6. JasonO7

JasonO7 Bit poster

Thank you, very hard to replicate this issue as it just randomly happens.

7. JasonO7

JasonO7 Bit poster

not sure if it will pick it up or not, i may have done the report too slow, but i just hit the start button and the gray box came up.

rumours likes this.
  8. Mikhail Ushakov

Thanks a lot, Jason!
    Unfortunately, there is no screenshots in the report, so we can't see what you observe and it's been taken a bit late.
    Would you reproduce it once again and collect it this way:
    - once the issue is reproduced, click the Parallels Desktop icon on the top Mac menubar > Help > Send technical data > click 'Attach screenshots and other files' > Send?

9. GordonS3

GordonS3 Bit poster

I'm getting the same thing on a 2020 macbook pro w/intel proc. A gray box on the left side of the screen which appears randomly. Random meaning it can't be reproduced at will and is not allowing a screenshot. It seems to be happening to others...any ideas on when a fix will be available.

10. GordonS3

GordonS3 Bit poster

419712119 ...that's the nunber given by the send tech report, I included a screen shot in that and I'm including the same one here.

Attached Files:

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  11. macjay

macjay Bit poster

I'm having the same issue - In Coherence all day long and this grey box randomly pops up at least 5 times a day. Sometimes without event interacting with Mac OS.

12. UsanG

UsanG Bit poster

i am having the same problem. very frustrating

13. MarkM45

MarkM45 Bit poster

I am having the same issue

14. IanL10

IanL10 Bit poster

Same here. It's getting really annoying. I will try to grab a screenshot.

WillC7 likes this.
  15. OlafS11

OlafS11 Bit poster

Same Herr.

16. WillC7

WillC7 Bit poster

I am getting the same issue with M2 MacBook Pro and Parallels running Windows 11. The gray box appears temporarily when opening a new Windows application

17. WolfgangS27

WolfgangS27 Junior Member

Same here, waiting for a solution to this issue. Couldn't manage to get a screenshot so far, the appearance of the grey box being too much erratic.

18. DRC.Shrimp

DRC.Shrimp Bit poster

I have a same issue. The gray box show up continuously at regular intervals.

19. WolfgangS27

WolfgangS27 Junior Member

Anybody listening to theses complaints at Parallels?

SimonT18 likes this.
  20. RobW15

RobW15 Bit poster

Same issue here.

21. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @RobW15, Kindly collect an additional technical report 'https://kb.parallels.com/9058 ' (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this thread. So that we can investigate the issue from the reports.