Direct Bluetooth not working on Apple M2

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Vmatz, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Vmatz

Vmatz Bit poster

Despite correctly configured VMs on my MacBook M2 cannot find Bluetooth devices.
    Of course, I activated "Direct access". In line with https://kb.parallels.com/en/114686
    Of course, all access permission are set to allow. On line with https://kb.parallels.com/en/122203
    I tried with different bluetooth headsets.
    I tried with Win 11 ARM as well as Ubuntu 22.10 ARM64.
    I had Parallels Support remote access my MacBook to confirm and double check. They also don't seem not to be able to find an issue.

To me it seems to be a bug. Anyone else having this issue on Apple silicon?

2. Charlon

Charlon Bit poster

I have the same problem, I have a macbook pro m2 max.
    I tried pairing with my xbox controller and also plugged in.
    I tried with a JBL bluetooth headsets.

3. Vmatz

Vmatz Bit poster

I opened a support ticket.
    Would be good to hear from others to give it more weight.

Charlon likes this.
  4. Charlon

Charlon Bit poster

Please support, fix this problem... <3

5. Tharun@P

Tharun@P Moderator

Hello @Vmatz , We would like to inform you that Intel-based applications and drivers for Intel chips or hardware for Intel chips are not supported on M1/M2 chips since Apple developed theirs based on the ARM architecture. You can try the steps from this link: https://kb.parallels.com/128796 to troubleshoot your issue. If the issue persists, then please contact the respective application support or hardware support and check with them if their application or hardware will work on the ARM OS with the M1/M2 chip. Parallels cannot simulate an Intel application or hardware to work on the M1/M2 chip. It has to be done by the respective application or hardware provider. Thanks.

6. Vmatz

Vmatz Bit poster

Thank you @Tharun@Parallels, I don't see the above relevant.
    - The kb article describes software and drivers. This is well known. How the above relates to hardware, I cannot follow. I am not aware of external hardware built for intel or built for ARM. On the hardware level using standardised interfaces such as USB, Bluetooth, etc. the CPU architecture is not relevant, afaik. Can you please elaborate?
    - The hardware I am using can directly connect to the Mac under MacOS. Hence, on a hardware layer thee is no issue.
    - In the VM - WINDOWS or Ubuntu makes no difference - the OS cannot even find/see Bluetooth hardware, let alone pair. This is before drivers and applications become relevant.

Happy to hear your qualified feedback!!

7. FritzTwo

FritzTwo Bit poster

I have the same problem.
    I use MacBook Pro M2.
    Please find a solution. Thank you.

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Thank you all for your feedback. We've submitted the issue to our developers. I advise you to subscribe to https://kb.parallels.com/129060 to get the notifications about new Parallels Desktop fixes.

9. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi all,
    A quick question from me: what's your use case for attaching a Bluetooth device directly to the virtual machine instead of redirecting the virtual machine audio output to the Bluetooth headset paired with the Mac (configuration settings of the virtual machine > Hardware > Sound & Camera > Sound output > select your headset)?

10. FritzTwo

FritzTwo Bit poster

Hi Mikhail
    My use case is to connect to a Solar converter which works only with Bluetooth standard V1.0.
    The internal MacBook Bluetooth M2 adapter does not work correct if I try to connect.

11. Vmatz

Vmatz Bit poster

Hi Mikhail,
    let me ask you back: Does Parallels not WANT to fix this confirmed bug? I am asking because I spent multiple rounds with your colleague on the hotline discussing the same "why not use a workaround?".
    In fact, there is a number of clear reasons:
    - when redirecting you can only redirect ALL audio. I want my MS Teams sessions on my headset and all other audio to the main speakers
    - when using more sophisticated BT devices the offer additional features over BT which only work when directly connected - s.a. Teams status and Teams button
    - We're only talking about audio .. but there is also other, non-audio BT devices that would require a direct connection.
    - ... just to name a few.
    Can I ask you about the progress on this bug please?

12. PrinceA1

PrinceA1 Bit poster

Hello, My utilization case is to interface with a Sun oriented converter which works just with Bluetooth standard V1.0.
    The interior MacBook Bluetooth M2 connector doesn't work right assuming I attempt to associate.
    To know more : Visit my website.I will shared many informations about Summer tech gadgets. Don't miss it.
    Thank you.

13. KarlA10

KarlA10 Bit poster

This has been several months now - any update on this bug?

I have similar problem with Bluetooth worked as a charm under Win 10 do not work anymore under Win 11 using parallels.
    All Bluetooth devices work great under my MacBook Air using Sonoma 14.1. but when swopping to Win 11, it stops working, nothing happens.

14. IsraelF1

IsraelF1

I cannot connect my Apple AirPod Pro on my virtual although I see all my other blue tooth devices. Is this the same issue? I tried an older Plantronic voyager and had no issues connecting. The AirPod Pro works fine on the Mac side. I followed the KB for sharing Bluetooth and again have no issues with other devices. What am I missiing?