Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3646) (KB5037858) Fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidS94, May 24, 2024.

1. MichaelS212

MichaelS212

This is my update, I cannot install:

Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3720) (KB5039312)
    Install error - 0x800f0845

2. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

My current subscription expires in August, so I may switch at that time. I am actually currently running both environments. Not so sure about the longevity about VMware now that they are a part of Broadcom. I also saw today that Microsoft is aware of the problem, and maybe will release an update by the end of the year. I would imagine that they have put more focus on the new release and the hardware that is being announced.

3. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

@JamesF23 I'll place a friendly wager a fix is out by the end of the month, at least in the beta channel! Fingers crossed.

Matthew777 likes this.
  4. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

LeRoi likes this.
  5. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

6. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

I don't say you're not right in what you suggest. That would most probably work - unless it mixes up the channels when I run the cloned version, in which case I wouldn't gain anything but problems. Honestly, I have zero confidence in MS to not mix it up, and I am not willing to tinker around with this. As I said, I need this for work, and it MUST work. If it doesn't, its easier to switch to a dedicated Windows laptop. I have bought one now, and for the time being I will run a two-machine strategy. Will I ever go back to Parallels? Maybe, it's just much more convenient to have both systems on one machine. But it will depend on how (and how quickly) they sort out the problem.
    It looks like we're both veterans :D, as I am working with both Mac and DOS for over 40 years now, too. The first Apple computer I got my hands on was actually a Lisa, some time in late 1983, before the first Macintosh was even released. And when it was, my first one had System version 1.1.

LeRoi likes this.
  7. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

I have used DOS version since 2.11, Windows since 3.0. I first used the Macintosh in College and my first MacBook in the PowerBook 5300cs. I finally switched fully to the Macintosh in 2012 after winning my first iPad. I used the Mac mini and PTVed my Windows 7 machine and left physical Windows computers behind. I will use either UTM, VMware Fusion, Microsoft Azure, or AWS over buying another Machine Windows machine. I do hope that either Microsoft or Parallels resolves this issue soon.

8. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

In my humble uninformed decision, I suspect this would be a problem - the Insiders program is based on your MS login, which is usually an email address. If both VMs have MS login as your email address, and you sign in and convert to say Dev from that login, imho that will change it for your account - which will impact both VMs. Unless there is a way to run Dev "unsupported" as it were, without being authorized for it through an account. And even in that case, would the licensing force you to login to MS, again pulling you out of the beta program once you ran the 2nd VM, it saw you were in the Insiders program, as it attempted to validate your license? Some of this may be wrong for sure, but it seems logical enough that it *could* happen, that I agree with you - stay away from other channels unless that's where you want to be. MS certainly doesn't encourage doing this.

9. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

I've run Beta, Dev, and Canary VM's on the same mac (Mac Studio) with no inter-mingling or inter-mixing of versions. That may be luck or just the correct phase of the moon. I'm not sure which.

10. JulsS

JulsS Member

FrankO, it is critical that your VM is stable yet you are switching to a physical machine in order to run a pre-release patch? This KB in the release channel should only show up if you've elected to "get windows updates first". Seems to me that the easier solution would be to turn off the "get windows updates first" slider and pause windows updates for a week until this gets sorted out.

11. AndrewJ18

AndrewJ18 Bit poster

FranciscoD6 likes this.
  12. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I am willing but it does not show up in Windows Update yet. I am in the beta program, maybe it won't?

13. FranciscoD6

FranciscoD6 Bit poster

SamS4 and AndrewJ18 like this.
  14. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

@FranciscoD6 are you in the Insiders beta program, and did it show up in Windows Update or did you have to use the UUP DUMP iso file?

15. JohnM92

JohnM92 Bit poster

Is there a way to clear the cache of the older update, or it just a matter of waiting for the newer update to propagate?

16. AndrewJ18

AndrewJ18 Bit poster

I cleared temp files and followed this process in command prompt to clear the store and the install went fine, but it probably wasn't necessary:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver

JohnM92 likes this.
  17. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I got a reply from the administrator at elevenforum.com, he who posts the updates. I asked about installing this on the beta version that last worked, 22635.3640. As you can see, beta channel people should wait and not install this:

"If it's not already addressed in the Beta build, we'll have to wait until an update does. KB5039212 cannot be installed for the Beta channel."

18. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

MartinW27 and PETERK17 like this.
  19. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

When I booted up my virtual machine, the problem update was automatically removed from the queue, and the update history indicating that it failed in the past.

20. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I presently run two different Windows 11 VMs under Parallels. One is using the Windows Insider program, and in that version the "Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3720) (KB5039312)" release doesn't install. Failure mode same as described above, with installation stalling at 30%, and then failure and restore of previous OS version.

The second VM is a Windows 11 Enterprise license and NOT part of the Windows Insider program, and the "2024-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for arm-64-based Systems (KB5039212)" build just installed fine. For this VM the update appears to stall out at 30%, but after a significantly longer time than in the Insider VM, it restarts and continues the install from 30% to 100%, and restarts successfully. I see no evidence of any AI or Co-Pilot features for this VM.

Note the difference in the KB codes - the problem one ends in 9312, and the working one ends in 9212.