Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3646) (KB5037858) Fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidS94, May 24, 2024.

1. DavidS94

DavidS94 Bit poster

Since updating Parallels this morning, I have been experiencing Windows Update issues with this preview. I have run the troubleshooter and SFC. Windows reports errors and that they have been successfully repaired.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with this update or has a suggestion on how to troubleshoot beyond the typical troubleshooter, SFC, and DISM steps?

Attached Files:

2. VictorG8

VictorG8 Bit poster

Same issue here! Since the Parallels Desktop 19.4.0-54962, I could not update with the Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3646) (KB5037858). I get the same "Install error - 0x800f0845" as DavidS94.

Since I used Time Machine for daily backups -- and in oder to isolate the issue -- I went back as far as 24 April 2024 with my backups but each time when trying to update, the very same issue. I am stuck!

I also went through the steps mentioned by DavidS94 and I could still not update to the Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3646) (KB5037858).

In addition, I can no longer login to iCloud for Windows.

Is there a fix that will, (and when?) that will be rolled out for Parallels Desktop 19.4.0-54962? I guess we must not be the only user facing that issue.

Thanks in advance for your kind help, time, and prompt solution.

KarlS12 likes this.
  3. ChristophK11

ChristophK11 Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same problem (Parallels on a Mac mini with M2 Pro), doesn't matter if I'm using an existing Windows 11 ARM installation or a clean/new one, the update always fails.

AaronS23 likes this.
  4. TimS39

TimS39 Bit poster

I also have this problem. Parallels Pro edition. M2 Pro Mac Mini, 32gb of ram. I tried updating to preview channel, and it couldn't even install the cumulative updates for the previous release. I totally wiped and installed the release preview of 24H2 via ISO. It installed, and of course said I needed to update as it's expired, so I clicked update, and that failed and rolled back to ISO version.

5. WordOnIce

WordOnIce Bit poster

I'm new to parallels and mac, and I've been having a blast until now. Tried updating my Windows and it's failing. This is the build (the same one everyone is having issues with): Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22635.3646. Will there be a resolution from parallels or should we just forget about being on the insider preview?

6. VictorG8

VictorG8 Bit poster

I opened a ticket for this as I later realized this is an "Unwatched Thread".
    I first received a response saying that "The issue isn't related to any technical faults inside Parallels Desktop" and that "there is no workaround for this right now".
    I subsequently received another message with links basically telling me to change channels in the Windows Insider Program, from the "Beta Channel (Recommended)" to the new "Canary Channe"l, which is specified by Windows as "released with limited documentation, without extensive validation, and can be unstable".
    Personally, I changed to the "Dev Channel", which is presented as more stable, simply by changing the channel in Windows / Settings / Windows Update / Windows Insider Program => Dev Channel.
    It worked for me.
    Before that, I had first tried the "Released Preview" channel but it not work as the issue was still present as in the Beta Channel, where I was.
    I hope it helps.

PETERK17 and ChristophK11 like this.
  7. AaronS23

AaronS23 Bit poster

Same issue as everyone on this thread, with the same machine configuration as ChristophK11. Please let me know if there will be a fix forthcoming. Thank you.

8. ChristophK11

ChristophK11 Bit poster

Thank you for this! I also switched to the Dev Channel and could update to the lasted (Dev) build without any problems. While it's a newer build than the Release Preview, it runs very smoothly right now.

9. WordOnIce

WordOnIce Bit poster

This truly is strange. Dev channel should be the most unstable of all the channels, and preview should be the most stable. I'll try this. Thanks!

10. JulsS

JulsS Member

Without this update, I do not think it is possible to install the 24H2 release preview build on ARM.

11. DavidO28

DavidO28 Bit poster

I was seeing the same issues with Parallels Professional 19.3, and just updated to 19.4 in an attempt to fix the problem. I will try installing again now but am not hopeful.

12. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I am on Parallels 19.4 and have been since it came out, and the latest Windows build 22635.3646 on Beta build does not work for me either. I do not wish to move to the dev build to "fix" this, as Dev builds can be highly unstable and it's much more difficult to move back to Beta from Dev. Beware!

It would be nice to get a fix for this - or maybe the next Windows beta build fixes it.

13. JulsS

JulsS Member

I tried it using 19.4 on a M2 MacBook Pro and it still fails.

SamS4 likes this.
  14. JulsS

JulsS Member

I am seeing the same behavior with KB5037853 which is the cumulative update on the release candidate channel.

SamS4 likes this.
  15. DavidO28

DavidO28 Bit poster

Ag
    Agreed, moving to the Dev channel is not a viable solution for this, Dev is an entirely new build tree based on the Windows 11 24H2 and is not suitable for any type of Production work.

SamS4 likes this.
  16. ChrisD43

ChrisD43 Bit poster

I'm on the latest version of Parallels and get the same error:
    2024-05 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for arm64-based Systems (KB5037853)
    Install error - 0x800f0845

Thankfully I have a copy of my bitlocker key backed-up as you need this to get back in.

PETERK17 and SamS4 like this.
  17. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Be sure everyone to post a problem report on the Feedback Hub app! A number of people have already reported install problems for the .3646 release, but the more that do, the quicker it may get attention!

PierreU likes this.
  18. Pawel Guraj

Pawel Guraj Junior Member

Same problem here. Moving to DEV does not seem to be good solution for prod copy....
    Br, Pawel.

19. JoeDawson

JoeDawson Junior Member

As other suggested I switched to Dev Channel and am now getting a different Windows Insider Preview installing. It now says Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.26120.670 (ge_release) and this one fails to download I am getting a download error 0x80240008.

This looks to be something that is under the Dev Channel.

20. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

I have the same problem. Reproducibly, the update process throws me out and rolls back to the last installed version. Every time requiring to type in the Bitlocker code. Afterwards it tells me that "This update couldn't be installed, but we'll try again later.", and offers to retry, which again fails.

PierreU, JustinC8 and SamS4 like this.