Age of Empires I, II, III in Windows 7 VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tajmahal, May 25, 2011.

1. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

Hello,

I tried to run several games of the Age of Empires series in Parallels Desktop 6 and I am having (different) problems with each of them.

Age of Empires I
    - black box around mouse cursor
    - the percentage number shown when creating units/buildings has graphics issues, making it unreadable

Age of Empires II
    - black box around mouse cursor

Age of Empires III
    - when SmartMouse is enabled or set to Auto, the mouse cursor will leave the VM window, making scrolling in the game impossible
    - when SmartMouse is disabled, the mouse cursor is invisible

I tried the following VM configurations, both of which had exactly the same problems:

- Windows 7 64-bit Boot Camp VM (when booting via Boot Camp, everything is fine, though)
    - Windows 7 32-bit regular VM

Does anyone have any of these games running in a similar configuration without the problems I described? I would be glad for advice.

Regards,
    Tobias

2. paxer

paxer Bit poster

3. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

What configuration do you have? Windows version, Mac?

I have tried Windows 7 32-bit, 64-bit and Windows XP 32-bit on a 13" MBP (early 2011).

4. paxer

paxer Bit poster

Windows 7 64bit, iMac (latest)

5. ritland

ritland Bit poster

Where you ever able to fix this problem? I have the same issue with AOE II and gameranger. Thanks!

6. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

No, unfortunately. I had a lengthy conversation with Parallels support which ended with them telling me they would report my issue to their engineering team which would be looking into it. That was about two weeks ago, so I am hoping the next version of Parallels Desktop will fix the bug.

7. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

Huh, what do you mean?

The problems are obviously due to Parallels Desktop, as the games will work fine when I start the very same virtual machine through Boot Camp.

I just noticed there is yet another update for Parallels Desktop. I will try that and I hope that the issues are finally fixed. I will post the results here.

8. Legoless

Legoless Bit poster

As I am also looking for a solution for this problem.. Age of Empires 1 starts up, but the colors are a bit odd. Same with AOE2.

But you guys must know, Bootcamp is NOT a virtual machine!

9. waressl

waressl Bit poster

There aren't any significant speed differences between the two. [​IMG]

10. Legoless

Legoless Bit poster

It is when it comes to 3D applications.. DirectX 10.0 and 11.0 are still unsupported... But I am happy with the way Parallels work. :)

11. SakibS

SakibS Hunter

Parallel should work for that. We will be happy to see games are working in parallel.

SakibS [​IMG]