All utility screens of Parallels 14 Desktop starting blank

DvirG

Bit poster
Hi There,
I am running parallels 14.1.2 on macOS 14.1.2
I currently need to create a new VM, and I have realised that once I click on File - > New (or the + button on the Control Center) I get a screen which has the heading but otherwise blank and can't go further.
After browsing around the app I found out that these screens load blank:
Installation Assistant
Account & License (Header of the windows is actually Parallels Desktop)

Attempt to reinstall Parallels did not solve the problem.

I currently need to create a VM, can anyone assist?

Thanks
 
Hi There,
I am running parallels 14.1.2 on macOS 14.1.2
I currently need to create a new VM, and I have realised that once I click on File - > New (or the + button on the Control Center) I get a screen which has the heading but otherwise blank and can't go further.
After browsing around the app I found out that these screens load blank:
Installation Assistant
Account & License (Header of the windows is actually Parallels Desktop)

Attempt to reinstall Parallels did not solve the problem.

I currently need to create a VM, can anyone assist?

Thanks
Execute the command "QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software open /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app" in Terminal then check.
 
Hi, I have kind of the same problem. At opening, I got a blank screen (white or black) and nothing to clic on. Typing don't do anything. 3days ago it worked fine and then, this trouble. I upgraded yesterday to ParallelDT14. Did not solve the issue. Tried the "execute the command "QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software open /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app" in Terminal then check." did not change anything.
 
Sorry I upgraded yesterday from ParallelDT15 to ParallelDT16.
Hello @AlexandreF2 we've received your reply:
Hi, there is the report number 352053780
I did succeed to open Parallels Technical Data report but no options to do anything were avail. I used Terminal to send it. I hope it will help all of us. Thanks for your time.
Alex

We will check it. Thank you once again.
 
this is the closest report I've seen that matches what I am experiencing.
I upgraded to Parallels Desktop for Mac 16 a week ago.
When I try to open any previously working OS image, it pops up the window
for first time usage, to verify that I am paid up to date. But that window (heading "Parallels Desktop") is blank.
It's the same window if I click "Account & License" from the title bar or from the "About Parallels" popup.
the suggested Terminal input does not look like a shell command to me.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.50.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.50.15 PM.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 2
OMG.
I use tcsh as my shell, so the commands are (2 lines, or with a semicolon between them on one line)
setenv QT_QUICK_BACKEND software
open /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app

for bash it might be
QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software
open /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app

and I haven't done it yet but I probably need to put
that first line in my .tcshrc
for it to work all the time, including by clicking on an icon.
 
OK, the .bashrc or .tcshrc solution doesn't work, because things run by clicking an icon in the GUI do not execute a shell first.
Internet search shows that it would be possible to edit /Applications/Parallels(etc)/Contents/Info.plist to add the environment variable, but
parallels seems to do a checksum to see if you've modified that file, and aborts if you have (thanks!).

So the answer is a little more involved.
I found the answer at https://support.shotgunsoftware.com...-Setting-global-environment-variables-on-OS-X
but here it is

edit (create) a file called environment.plist in
/Users/YourName/Library/LaunchAgents

with the following content. (I use the tcsh shell, so you would probably need to change "tcsh" below to "bash",
and "setenv QT_QUICK_BACKEND software;" to "export QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software;")

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>my.startup</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>tcsh</string>
<string>-c</string>
<string>launchctl setenv QT_QUICK_BACKEND software; </string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>


and then in your terminal run
launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/environment.plist
launchctl start ~/Library/LaunchAgents/environment.plist

log out and back in.
for me, the easy check is to launch Parallels Desktop,
then in the Control Center, click on + as if to add another OS image.
That popup window runs under QT and used to come up blank for me.
Now it works, along with the "there is a new version of parallels" popup, which also used to come up blank.
 
Back
Top