Alt Key Shortcuts Lag in Excel

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnL16, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JohnL16

JohnL16 Bit poster

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 on Parallels 12. There is a noticeable lag whenever I use Alt shortcuts in Excel 2016. It happens when the keys are pressed individually and in sequence, e.g. Alt, T, U, D. It ends up typing "TUD" in the cell instead of executing the shortcut when there isn't a sufficient delay after hitting the Alt key.

I've read other threads on the same topic and have already set Keyboard preferences to "Optimise for games". It helped a little, but only when the Alt key is combined with the first key e.g. Alt+T, U, D.

This issue doesn't happen in Bootcamp or on other Windows computers. Is there a solution for this? Thank you.

SimratM and MarkusW6 like this.
  2. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello JohnL16, please try this article and let us know how it goes.

3. JohnL16

JohnL16 Bit poster

Hi Swati, I've tried the above but it's still the same.

4. Hi you can try the following:
    1. Create snapshot of your VM
    2. Start Vm and try this.

5. BTW, does this issue appear only in MS Excel?

6. JohnL16

JohnL16 Bit poster

Hey Maria,
    Thanks for the suggestion and apologies for getting back so late.
    Creating the registry file still doesn't solve the problem. I have also tried to adjust the Key Repeat and Delay settings in macOS but nothing changed. There is always that 1-2s lag that isn't around if I reboot into Bootcamp.

It happens throughout all Office products - PowerPoint / Word shortcuts exhibit the same problem.

Thanks.

7. JohnL16

JohnL16 Bit poster

Just to update, I tried virtualizing the same Boot Camp volume in VMware Fusion and this problem doesn't exist. The shortcuts execute normally without having to press Alt+First Key simultaneously.

Hope there'd be a solution to this!

8. JohnL16

JohnL16 Bit poster

Hi, I have narrowed down the issue to a delay in Cmd key in Parallels.

I can reproduce this problem by mapping Alt to Cmd and Win to Option. The Start menu opens instantly when it is mapped to the Option key, but there is a noticeable delay when using the Cmd key (default settings).

This is causing the delay in MS Office Alt shortcuts when using Cmd as my Alt key. Moreover, this problem appears to be localised to the Cmd button as mapping it to any other key works fine.

I have set the keyboard settings to 'Optimise for games' and unticked all other Parallels keyboard shortcuts.

9. Wikik

Wikik Bit poster

I also use but not face any issue. My Child plays IGI Game 2 and use a lot of short keys but not face.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  10. KennethC3

KennethC3 Bit poster

I am running into _exactly_ the same problem that JohnL16 is running into. So much so that I'm willing to throw down a couple thousand dollars for a decent windows laptop.

To Parallels devs, please try to find a fix for the cmd/alt remapping lag that Parallels users are experiencing. These shortcuts are incredibly important for Office users. I know other enterprise users who have been driven mad by this bug.

For context, alt shortcuts in excel represent tremendous time savings for power users. The slight delay that we experience using Parallels is tantamount to making excel unusable.

Thanks.

Ken

11. MarkusW6

MarkusW6 Bit poster

The Alt-shortcut lag problem in Excel with Parallels is what is making me to use Bootcamp instead of Parallels (and the lack of those shortcuts what's making me to use the WIndows version instead of Excel for Mac...)

Would be so great if you fixed it

PS: It really seems to be a problem with the Cmd-key. Upon using SharpKeys to remap the Mac-Alt key (=Windows key) to the Mac-Cmd key (=left Alt under Windows), one can use the Mac-Alt key to access the Excel ribbon without noticeable lag. Unfortunately, one has thereby lost the Windows key and a circular assignment/swapping of keys does not seem to be working using SharpKeys.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  12. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Guys, Keyboard setting 'Optimise for games' should fix the problem.

13. JonathonB

JonathonB Bit poster

Yep, I have the same problem, and 'optimise for games' does NOT fix it. When use shortcuts in MS word (like CMD + + for superscript) half the time it replaces the text with a '+'. It is extremely annoying and didn't happen before the most recent upgrade of parallels.

14. JohnL16

JohnL16 Bit poster

I'm still experiencing the same issue. @alexg The 'optimise for games' option doesn't fix it - I've had it on since starting this thread last year.

The easiest way to visualize this problem is by remapping the Start Menu key to ⌥ using Parallels keyboard settings - you'll see that the Start Menu opens much faster than when it's mapped to the Cmd key.

Not sure why there is an input delay with the Cmd key but really hope this can be fixed.

15. GavaskarN

GavaskarN Bit poster

I have this issue only in coherence mode. In fullscreen mode, it works just fine. Can someone explain what's the issue?

16. Mak Burns

Mak Burns Junior Member

does this issue appear in MS Office?

17. AbdulR2

AbdulR2 Bit poster

Guys, Keyboard setting 'Optimise for games' should fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2018
  18. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  19. AlessandroP10

AlessandroP10 Bit poster

Hi - any update here? I am still having serious issues with the lag in pressing alt, if I'm remapping from CMD on mac.

20. Hello, could you please provide us with your Parallels Desktop and macOS versions?