Cannot import .vpc7 file?

yabado

Bit poster
I am trying to imprt my Virtual PC 7 files into Parallels (v.3) but I keep getting this error...

You have chosen the virtual machine of unknown type

I am confused, they advertised that i could import VPC into the new version :confused:

Am I doing something wrong?

The manual mentions nothing about files ending in .vpc7
 
I have the same problem

THis is very frustrating. I only bought Parallels because they said I could easily import my VPC 7 Windows XP. Now I cannot.

I am waiting for a reply from support, but after 2 days of trying to get this to work, it looks like a rip off.

BGB
 
Thanks - Seems to be working

I downloaded a trail version of the older 2.5 and the transporter seems to work fine to import my vpc7 Windows XP system. The transporter in Parallels version 3.0 didn't work.

Thansk for the tip.
 
Hello,

Now there are two ways to convert your Microsoft virtual machine to Parallels one:

1. Please, use Transporter from previous version of Parallels (Parallels Desktop 2.5)

or

2. In the current version you can make it by the following method:
A. Determine full file name of virtual disk.

A.1. Go to /Applications/Utilities and run Terminal program.

A.2. Use "cd" command to enter into virtual machine directory.

Example:

Lets your virtual machine is located at /Users/UserName/Documents/WindowsXP.vpc7. In this case you should execute such command cd /Users/UserName/Documents/WindowsXP.vpc7.

A.3. Find directory that contains virtual disks using "ls" command. This directory ends with ".vhdp" extension. Usually its name is "Disk1.vhdp".

Example:

ls

A.4. Change directory to found one.

Example:

cd Disk1.vhdp

A.5. Use "ls" once more to find name of virtual disk. Its name ends with ".vhd" extension and usually is "BaseDrive.vhd".

A.6. Now keep in mind full file name of virtual disk.

For our example it is "/Users/UserName/Documents/WindowsXP.vpc/Disk1.vhdp/BaseDrive.vhd" (please, use it later in B.4.)


B. Convert virtual disk from Microsoft virtual machine to Parallels one.

B.1. Launch Parallels Transporter.

B.2. Go to virtual branch.

B.3. Choose "Single virtual disk" option.

B.4. Enter full file name of virtual disk.

B.5. Click "Migrate" for Express migration mode or "Continue" for Advanced mode.

B.6. Follow Parallels Transporter instructions.

This problem will be fixed in the nearest Parallels Transporter version.

Best Regards,
Helen.
 
Last edited:
I am unable to migrate my VPC6 machines to Parallels. Transporter 3.0 would not recognize .vpc6 files but would recognize and convert the .vdh files they contain. The .vdh files would begin to open. The Windows opening screen would appear briefly, then disappear and be replaced by a blue screen that went away too quickly to read, replaced by a black screen that said Windows couldn't open. Same problem reported earlier in thread 11198.

I downloaded the build 3188 installer you suggested. It contains Transporter 2.0 rather than 2.5. Transporter 2.0 also fails to read .vpc6 files, and when I convert a .vdh file using 2.0 it fails to open in Parallels 3.0 in the same manner the Trans 3.0 converted files fail.

Will Transporter 2.5 really work, and if so, where can I get it?

If not, what else should I try?
 
Response please

I need a response how to get Transporter to produce a bootable image from a VPC6 virtual machine. I'm in my 15 day trial period with Parallels, and figure there's no sense buying it if I can't get it to work. What should I do?

If using Transporter 2.5 is the answer, where can I get a copy. The link you posted earier, Helen, contained Transporter 2.0, and that didn't work any better than 3.0 did.

I'd really like to get parallels to work.

Ralph Strauch
 
What's the build number for transporter 2.5, and where can I find it? The URL that Helen gave for it contained transporter 2.0, build 1080, and that build had the same problems as 3.0. Also, do I need to open the vm with the same desktop build as the transporter used? I've got the 3.0 demo and that number won't let me open an earlier Parallels desktop.

I'm down to 3 days left on my demo period, and I'd sure like to get this working before that runs out.
 
Build 3188

I used the Mac link provided by Helen to get Parallels Desktop build 3188 which came with a version (I didn't check which) of Transporter which worked to import/migrate my VPC Windows XP into Parallels format.

This version of Transporter was no help at all in bringing in anything but XP.

I deinstalled build 3188 completely and reinstalled 3.0 (build 4128) and started it up.

3.0 then converted the 3188 XP into the 3.0 form which worked fine.

As I described in my post, I then used 3.0 (Import) to migrate my VPC Windows 2000 into Parallels format, which also works fine.

If your .vpc6 files and .vhpd files can be seen somewhere in your Documents folder (using the Finder), I suggest that you try and use the 3.0 solution as described in my previous post.

Might work...

On the other hand if you can see these .vpc6/.vhpd files, you might also try my "non-Terminal approach" to getting them migrated using the build 3188 installation first.

That's about all I can suggest.

hth - Good Luck!

[Running Mac Pro 3.0 GHz Quad Intel Core with OS 10.4.10]
 
I didn't do it exactly in the same way you did, tyvol, but I think I tried all the same things. I've tried to migrate .vhd files using both transporter 2.0 and 3.0, and get the same results with both. The migration and hardware update appear to go smoothly, then the file begins to boot, then fails. I had been running XP SP1 in VPC, so I also tried updating to SP2 and migrating that. Same result. I installed parallels for windows in VPC to see if I could migrate from there and that didn't work either -- that migration would fail part way through.

Reports of successful migrations seem to be from users of VPC7, so I'm wondering if the problem is that I'm using VPC6. If anyone else reading this has migrated from VPC6, either successfully or unsuccessfully, please post your experience.

I only have a demo serial # for Parallels 3, so I haven't been able to try booting any of the migrated drives in earlier versions. I wonder if that might make a difference? Any more suggestions in the next day or two before my demo expires would be appreciated.

Ralph
 
Parallels Transporter doesnt support VP6 images in current version. This feature will be avaliable in future version of Parallels Transporter.
 
Mike@Parallels said:
Parallels Transporter doesnt support VP6 images in current version. This feature will be avaliable in future version of Parallels Transporter.

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me how soon that is likely to be available? Also, it would have been nice if someone had told me that when I first asked. It would have saved me a lot of work over the last 12 days.

Ralph
 
Version 2.5 of Transporter

We're still needing a download link for version 2.5 of Transporter, ALONE. The DMG file is for the FULL INSTALL of version 2.5, and this is unacceptable. I don't need, or want, the full install to overwrite version 3.0, wich appears to be the only option.

I believe the documentation, which doesn't provide version numbers on the header or footer, says that Transporter version 3.0 will support importing vpc7 files, as THIS IS THE REASON I PURCHASED YOUR PRODUCT.

Please post Transporter 2.5 .app, or update Transporter 3 to support vpc7 files.
 
Last edited:
Does Parallels migrate VPC6 yet?

A couple of months ago I tried unsuccessfully to migrate my VPC6 VMs into parallels. On 7/3, Mike@Parallels said that that migration was not then supported, but that
Mike@Parallels said:
We plan to ship this update in next 4 weeks
Does the most recent release now support VPC6 migration? If not, when is that expected?
 
Are there any updates to this? Will the latest version of Parallels support it? I have no interest to uninstall, install, uninstall, reinstall.

I suppose I can just try it, but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks.
Paul
 
I tried it. The latest version of Parallels converted my .vhd file just fine. It failed on the .vmc file, so the approach I'm going to use is to convert the virtual disks rather than the virtual machines.

Paul
 
Back
Top