Can't install Parallels Desktop 9 from 8. Says to install from disk image only.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SebastianP, Oct 20, 2016.

1. SebastianP

SebastianP Bit poster

I've downloaded the DMG file from your server (ParallelsDesktop-9.0.24251.1052177.dmg) but when I double click it to install, I get the error message, "Parallels Desktop can be installed from a disk image only. Please open the Parallels Desktop DMG file and try again".

Am I opening it incorrectly?

MAC Sierra
    Current Parallels vervion:
    Build 8.0.18619

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @SebastianP
    Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac is not compatible with Mac OS Sierra and that's the reason you're unable to install it on your Mac. Please purchase Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac which is an optimized version of Mac OS Sierra. Please check this KB article to get trial for Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac.

3. MikeH5

MikeH5 Bit poster

I am outraged and will try to keep it politically correct. Really.

First I am recommended to uninstall and reinstall Parallels because it wouldn't start up because of a "driver problem", now, AFTER uninstalling I am told it is not compatible wit macOS Sierra anymore?
    What kind of policy is this? I have BOUGHT this software! And it wasn't cheap to claim it's functionality for only two years!

As a student I cannot afford to buy the same software every other two years just because it has gone "incompatible"! Every other piece of software works perfectly fine, and if it doesn't there's a free update within days.

I get it, Parallels integrates deeper into the system, but ist not like you're reinventing the wheel, you're adjusting to updated apis, like everyone else does.

This is how you get people to pirate software. Those will never suffer from limitations, like your legal customers do.

I really, REALLY, regret buying this software. If theres no solution you can provide to this, I will never again.

Thanks for nothing,
    a disappointed customer.

CMF and cpuheater like this.
  4. KASHINATH

KASHINATH Bit poster

same here... hate you parallels!!

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Describe us the issue you are facing?

6. DanielH7

DanielH7 Bit poster

I had the same warning with v10 in Sierra, but installed it by running the prl_client_app inside the 'Parallels Desktop.app' on the dmg.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

New installation of Parallels Desktop 10 will not work on Sierra. If you have upgraded to Sierra with Parallels Desktop 10 then you continue using it but there are some limitations. Refer this article.

8. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

I agree with MikeH5 in every way, and thanks for reminding me of piracy, I almost forgot.
    Parallels, I am done with you, and I will from now on advise everyone not to pay for your products.

CMF likes this.
  9. gabrielbcn

gabrielbcn Junior Member

Not true. I did install it yesterday and it does work perfectly. Why are you lying to your customers?

10. cpuheater

cpuheater Bit poster

Well, it turns out that the link that the link in the purchase mail led to a non-functioning dmg.
    When downloading from here: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/download/ it works.

It's just sad, they made a good product, and they drove us away just because they were too much after the money. Well, when I have time, I'm gonna move to Linux, where VMs are high-quality, free and even gratis.

CMF likes this.
  11. Ethan7

Ethan7 Bit poster

I tried below. Installation looks success. Just look my suggestion.
    1. hdiutil attach ParallelsDesktop-9.0.24251.1052177.dmg
    2. cd /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ 9/
    3. ./Install.app/Contents/MacOS/Install
    4. If there is an error, ignore, close
    5. Open dashboard and execute Parallels Desktop 9

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know in which macOS X version you have installed Parallels Desktop 9 using these steps.

13. AlexanderH3

AlexanderH3 Bit poster

I also now have the problem with Parallels Version 11 on High Sierra. Not installable!!!! I am also very disappointed with the way you handle paying Customers.
    Wate the f**k do I pay for your Software and with every second version of OSx I have to fear non working Software? This is really bad attitude
    and without meaning I Will act so. Do not wonder if peace steal your software. For me this is the end of our relationship until you find a way to make me
    different about you. There is already other software on market being as good as you. Don't forget about that. I'll move to VMware fusion now I guess.
    Said said Customer!!

14. Boss

Boss Bit poster

Below is what worked for me, I just reinstalled Parallels Desktop 9 on macOS Mojave 10.14.4

1. Mount ParallelsDesktop-9.0.24251.1052177.dmg so the volume Parallels Desktop 9 appears on your desktop.

2. Open a new terminal window and paste the command below.

3. /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ 9/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app

4. Enter your password, press enter and the install process will begin.

15. Great post, but please don't forget that Parallels Desktop 9 is not compatible with Mac OS Mojave and we won't be able to resolve any issues with 9 version on Mojave.

16. Nhenhon

Nhenhon Bit poster

Thanks for the tip of everyone, with some tips from here I managed to get my Lol

17. Nhenhon

Nhenhon Bit poster

I tried below. Installation looks success. Just look my suggestion.
    1. hdiutil attach ParallelsDesktop-9.0.redtube24251.1052177.dmg
    2. cd /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop\ 9/
    3. ./Install.app/Contents/MacOS/Install
    4. If there is an error, ignore, close
    5. Open dashboard and execute Parallels Desktop 9

Maria@Parallels likes this.