Can't print /connect to Zebra label printer installed on Windows through Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by FrankB6, Oct 9, 2019.

1. FrankB6

FrankB6 Bit poster

Hi! I have a Zebra GK420t label printer, for which only Windows drivers exist, installed on Windows 10 in Parallels. The printer works fine in Windows.

My aim is to print to this printer through my Mac OS interface, as that is where I do the bulk of my work. So when I open a pdf with labels in my Mac browser, I would like to be able to select the Zebra printer installed in Windows to print the labels.

In what way should I configure the printer in Mac OS (High Sierra)? Can anyone tell me what the recommended settings are? How can I connect to the Windows-installed Zebra printer?

All the information I could find in the knowledge base was on how to use Mac-installed printers in Windows. What I'd like to do is the opposite: use a Windows-installed printer on Mac.

Your help is highly appreciated as I've already spent hours trying to achieve this...

Thank you!
    Frank

2. @FrankB6 you can only connect your printer to your Mac directly.
    So there are the following options:
    1.Connect printer to Mac
    2. Connect printer to your VM directly
    3. Connect printer to your Mac and then share it with VM

3. FrankB6

FrankB6 Bit poster

Hi Maria, thank you for your reply.
    So right the printer is installed in Windows 10 and connected to my VM.
    What should I do on my Mac to make it available there?
    As there are no full Zebra printer drivers for Mac OS, I can't completely install it there.

Thanks!
    Frank

4. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the driver instalation and sharing your printer from vm to Mac (due to the tech limitation), but you can share your Mac files with vm and print it from your Windows (if it will work for you)

5. FrankB6

FrankB6 Bit poster

I already had your last suggestion working, but I was looking for a (even) better solution.

I actually found out that the Zebra printer CAN be installed on a Mac, with a limited driver (the driver is called "Zebra EPL2 Label Printer") that comes standard on a Mac. So my problem is now completely solved.

Thank you for your help Maria!

Maria@Parallels likes this.