cant run MacOS on Mac Studio - Cannot retrieve the hardware model data.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by macSE30, Jun 10, 2022.

1. macSE30

macSE30 Bit poster

I have two Mac Studios with Parallels Desktop Pro, Version 17.1.4 (51567) (latest build).
    Ubuntu and Windows 11 VMs are running well, but i can't start MacOS as a VM.
    I downloaded and MacOS 12 (Monterey) directly via Parallels Desktop.
    When i try to start it, it just gives me the error "Cannot retrieve the hardware model data." and the VM can't be started.
    Can't get it to run on the both Mac Studios. Host OS is Monterey 12.4 (21F79), CPU is a M1 Max in both cases.
    It works fine on a Macbook Pro 2021 (M1 Pro) or a Mac Mini M1 (2020) but not on any of the Mac Studios.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-10 um 19.40.36.png

RichardD30 likes this.
  2. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

Were you able to solve this?

3. macSE30

macSE30 Bit poster

unfortunatly: no.

i upgraded one of the two Mac Studio to Ventura, and Parallels to Version 18, after that it worked on this machine.

The other Mac Studio still has the same issue, no matter what i try, i can't get it to work.
    I got Parallels Version 18.1.0 (53311) - which is the newest update at the moment - and it just doesn't work on this particular Mac Studio with Monterey.
    I gave up on it, since i found no answer anywhere.

4. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

I'm experiencing a very similar issue. I am able to get a MacOS 12 `.macvm` running just fine on the machine I create it on.

Whenever I `rsync` the vm to a new macOS machine, I receive the "Unable to retrieve the hardware data model" error. The logs aren't very verbose so it's hard to diagnose this.