Well I spent about 5 hours on the phone with Victor (somewhere in Central Europe) who is a Parallels Tech Support Engineer today trying to get Parallel Tools to install, which I believe is the cause of a significant part of my problems in getting PD 4.0 to run. I am running the new build (3540) .
Unfortunately nothing we did could help the problem. We un-installed and re-installed just about everything. Tools, Parallels itself, still no luck.
What is happening is that Parallel Tools appears that it is going to successfully install but when it gets to the "Updating Component Registry" part followed by the "Copying Files" and finally "Writing System Registry Values" it fails. And when it fails I get the following Windows Error message:
"Error 1406. Could not write value Parallels Shared Internet Applications to key
\Software\Microsoft \Windows\Current Version\Run.Verify that you have sufficient access to that key,
or contact your support personnel."
Well I've investigated all I can. I have the correct version of Windows Installer for XP (2.0) which could have been an issue. I have checked all of the permissions for my user account (actually there is only one user on this XP/VM) and it has all the permissions you could have. However it did say in one online piece about this type of error that if the installation program is written incorrectly this could also cause the error. So at this point I'm going to hang my hat on that's the problem. Hopefully someone at Parallels will be taking a look at that.
anyone else with Error 1406?
Unfortunately nothing we did could help the problem. We un-installed and re-installed just about everything. Tools, Parallels itself, still no luck.
What is happening is that Parallel Tools appears that it is going to successfully install but when it gets to the "Updating Component Registry" part followed by the "Copying Files" and finally "Writing System Registry Values" it fails. And when it fails I get the following Windows Error message:
"Error 1406. Could not write value Parallels Shared Internet Applications to key
\Software\Microsoft \Windows\Current Version\Run.Verify that you have sufficient access to that key,
or contact your support personnel."
Well I've investigated all I can. I have the correct version of Windows Installer for XP (2.0) which could have been an issue. I have checked all of the permissions for my user account (actually there is only one user on this XP/VM) and it has all the permissions you could have. However it did say in one online piece about this type of error that if the installation program is written incorrectly this could also cause the error. So at this point I'm going to hang my hat on that's the problem. Hopefully someone at Parallels will be taking a look at that.
anyone else with Error 1406?