Did anyone else on 17 get a "macOS Ventura Service Notification"?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ConnerS1, Sep 14, 2022.

1. NotBob

NotBob Bit poster

Very annoying to get this kind of spam when opening 17. I only got this program a few months ago and most likely be the last...

KellyG2 likes this.
  2. dbourne

dbourne Member

I have one license, non subscription, v17 that runs fine on Ventura. My second license, a subscription, offered an update 18.0.2 to 18.0.3. After updating, updating Parallel tools, I get a blank white screen. Time Machine allowed me to get back to 18.0.2. However, while writing this and running some R scripts (under Win11) my computer crashed. ??

3. CKK

CKK Bit poster

After reading reviews in this post, I just upgraded and the existing Windows 11 VM functions as before. Managed to run some applications without issues.
    Macbook Air M1 + Ventura 13.0 + Parallels 17.1.4

4. dbourne

dbourne Member

Good to hear if you mean Parallels v18.x.x. I've had issues with Parallels/Win!! before when doing an update. Restart didn't work for me. I would do a shut-down and then 'manually' do a restart. That may have confused things. I have a MacStudio and assigned 8 cores. Version 18.0.2 is (still) working OK for me.

5. None5

None5 Bit poster

Thanks to those that tested whether ||17 was compatible with Ventura. I add my voice to those (that ||s may or may not listen to), that this attempt at a coerced upgrade (really to force me from lifetime to subscription) has seriously put me off the product. I would stop using this before paying for an upgrade after 4 months of usage. KNOW THIS: anything less than 24 months of usage out of this product (||17) will force me to never purchase anything else from this company and to bad-mouth them to all who care. If this was just a case of poor communication and not a transparent attempt to force more money out of paid customers, then the forthcoming apology may mitigate the extreme disappointment in this company.

KellyG2 likes this.
  6. KellyG2

KellyG2 Bit poster

I'm in full agreement with you. It's using rather deplorable tactics especially using words like "is not compatible with..."

7. KellyG2

KellyG2 Bit poster

Fully agree with you. It's rather deplorable.

8. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Curious if anyone is using Par v17 with a guest VM macOS Sierra/High Sierra on host Ventura? I use a guest Sierra for quite a bit of my older essential Mac software and it has worked fine with Monterey. Hesitant to upgrade my iMac Intel to Ventura if it might break my Parallels setup. Can always do a restore from backups, but that takes time and can cause issues sometimes, so hoping someone has doen this successfully.

9. PhilippH4

PhilippH4 Bit poster

So what is the official statement of Parallels for this now?
    I bought Parallels Desktop with a student licence in September and I upgraded to the 18 version around 2 weeks ago. I am running my Macbook Air M1 on MacOS Monterey but I am planning to upgrade for OS Ventura very soon. Will I have problems if I update to Ventura? It cannot be that I have to pay again if I just bought it 2 months ago?!??

10. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac is compatible with macOS Ventura, refer to know about Parallels Desktop and macOS compatibility. Thanks.

PhilippH4 likes this.
  11. jav

jav

you will use Parallels no matter what because there is no decent alternative, virtualbox is taking ages to come in with something usable,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2022