Errors installing SolidWorks in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ray Dosh, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

I suspect Dassault Systèmes doesn't support SolidWorks running in a virtual machine, particularly the free education version. But, I know that several have succeeded in installing and running it. However, I keep getting corrupt file errors. I examined the logs from my failed installations and was unable to quickly determine why it failed. There was a reference to Microsoft VBA KB2783832 but that refers to command line installations not using the SW Install Manager. There was also a warning about the installation being run from an unknown location (which would likely relate to the installation in a virtual machine). And, there was also an error about my serial number not being eligible for the installation of SW Electrical Schematic (I had selected SW PCB as one of my options; I had entered the serial numbers I had been provided for both SW and SW PCB which includes SW Electrical Schematic). There is also a reference to the installation failing with error code 1603 which may relate to the installation path being too long. I suspect that to be the big problem.

I tried again, this time deselecting SW PCB but got the same error (corrupt file; something like i386_S~5.cab; I have attached a screen shot). The error message says something about deleting the source directory and trying again. To me, the source directory is on the server. So, I'm not sure what they're referring to. Perhaps this is related to the unsupported platform but I'm suspecting that it is not.

I'm wondering if I can get someone knowledgeable to take a look at one of my install log files.

If the path length is too long, what can I do to shorten it? I'm not sure that the SW Install Manager offered me any opportunity to select the install location. Or, is it possible to install a Windows program to an external drive to achieve a shorter path?

--
    Ray D

SW install grab.png

2. Hi, thanks for the detailed issue description.
    Could you also please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

3. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

4. JeffreyM9

JeffreyM9 Bit poster

I'm having similar errors, any resolution?

5. mPapa

mPapa Bit poster

I am having a similar issue attempting to install Solidworks using an .edu license with latest version of Parallels on my MacBook pro. I have ample RAM, 16gb.

The install helper downloads the ~8GB packages and then is unable to locate it. It's directed to the appropriate location as far as I can tell.

Attached Files:

6. AlexanderU1

AlexanderU1 Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem. Have tried manual downloads as well. If any others have any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

7. AlexanderU1

AlexanderU1 Bit poster

Some images for context. The installer is not able to locate any of the files despite clearly being there when browsing with file explorer.

Attached Files:

8. mPapa

mPapa Bit poster

In my case, I solved the issue by downloading the package to the c: drive on the parallels virtual machine. Make a folder on parallels and then make sure to direct the SW installer helper to this folder on the c: in windows.

As overkill, I re-downloaded the .exe from my SW (educational license from SFSU) through the internet on Windows internet on the parallels virtual machine.

Hope this helps. My instructor still recommends doing it through bootcamp but I have no interest in partition my drive, especially for Windows OS, which I dislike strongly.

9. AlexanderU1

AlexanderU1 Bit poster

You're my hero - thanks so much for the tip. Agreed, no interest in partitioning my drive, and this should work perfectly.

10. SeenaS

SeenaS Bit poster

Were you ever able to figure out this issue? I'm running into the same installer location error despite directing the installer to the local C drive

11. moti

moti Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem and I'm not succeeding fixing it, help please....

12. henryl8

henryl8 Bit poster

Can anyone share a step by step guide in how to install 3D Experience ? I am trying to run the Catia online version but it is not displaying anything after I loaded the software.

13. henryl8

henryl8 Bit poster

Specifically I am trying to run "Part Design" it gives me a blank screen like the screenshto attached. It said Part Design was loaded but the screen is blank, I double checked it with my Windows Desktop. It opens fine though - as in I can see the model that I loaded / created. Anyone can advise?

Attached Files:

14. JennS2

JennS2 Bit poster

Hi all, I followed this video which solved the problem. Keep pressing resume after each error and you'll get there.

15. Iannez

Iannez Bit poster

Any luck?