Fail to build kernel modules on Linux kernel v4.15+

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by LegendT, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Dear folks, support for Ubuntu 18.04 will be added for certain, only we don't have a definite time frame for this yet. Management is quite aware of your concern. Your patience is much appreciated.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

Thanks for confirming Hemnath - will that be in version 13 or only 14?

If 13, can you recommend a way of accessing files on the host from the instance while we wait?

3. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

(If it will not be added to version 13, I will delete my Ubuntu 18 instance and start again with version 17.)

4. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

Hemnath or colleague, please could you confirm whether or not Ubuntu 18 will be supported by Parallels 13 at some point? Thanks

5. BerndL1

BerndL1 Bit poster

Ubuntu 18.04 is now part of the stable release and seeing both commercial and opensource alternatives/competitors have working virtual guest tools - it is not too unreasonable to at least get an official response on this. Please advice soonest.

6. Genliese

Genliese Bit poster

plz solve this problem as soon as possible.:(

7. JonasE1

JonasE1 Bit poster

13th of May 2018 and still no support. This is simply unacceptable.

8. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

Ubuntu 18 was only released 17 days ago so I wouldn't call this unacceptable, yet, but we've 3 months or so until Parallels release a new version, so it doesn't seem to ask much of Parallels to confirm whether Ubuntu 18 support will be added to Parallels 13. If they hold it back until version 14 I'd go VirtualBox or VMWare for my Ubuntu virtualization - VMWare now outperforms on many dimensions and can run Bootcamp partitions. Forcing users to pay annually for OSes released well within the year also forces them to reconsider virtualization platform.

9. JonasE1

JonasE1 Bit poster

Sure, 17 days for the LTS, but as far as I've come to understand the lack of support is kernel related and hasn't that update been around since January?

Sure, I'm a complete Linux idiot, but I'm starting to feel like I'm paying for Parallels a couple of times a year and if the "problem" is kernel related and hasn't been addressed throughout any of the pre-releases I feel like I have a case for being a tad upset. I'm starting to think that soon 14 will be dropped on my head with proper kernel support and there goes another €50 or something. Then again maybe tomorrow everything will be working dandy.

10. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

All true @JonasE1 (except the idiot part - can't comment..) - if this is a ploy to force upgrades when the kernel came out 8 months before the next version of Parallels is released then I'm done with Parallels.

11. Artrez

Artrez Bit poster

To be honest, I'm a little regret for buying parallels. Not for how much time it takes to add support for 18.04. It's about "no definite time". Only estimate time shows Parallels working on this issue.
    Maybe it was the first time I bought it, also the last time.

12. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

When I bought Parallels VMWare didn't virtualize Bootcamp partitions, so it was the right decision at the time for me. They do now, and VMWare beats Parallels on many benchmarks, the basic VMWare license doesn't limit the CPUs and memory you can give guest OSes, VMWare offer people who bought a prior version a free upgrade if a new version comes out almost imediately, it seems to contain a lot more functionality, especially for developers testing, and the 'Pro' version doesn't force you into a annual subscription-only license. I haven't been able to find out whether VMWare supports Ubuntu 18 yet but I'm thinking of giving it a try and will post here if I find out. If so, I'm pretty much sold. [Edit: Am downloading a VMWare Fusion trial.]

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  13. RudolfR2

RudolfR2 Bit poster

If you want to fix it before parallels release an update, you can follow these steps:
    https://gist.github.com/rudolfratusinski/a4d9e3caff11a4d9d81d2e84abc9afbf

It's a pity, that parallels didn't follow changes of linux kernel, because they would know about them long before Ubuntu 18.04 was released. And it's sad that without proficiency in C I could fix it in 2 hours, while we have to wait for months for a software that we all have paid for, to be working as it should.

HakanK2, Pbryanw and ChrisP13 like this.
  14. Artrez

Artrez Bit poster

Thanks for providing the solution. I'll try it

Edit: It works and only takes me 5 min to make the change. So, is it really difficult for official support?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  15. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

Great work @RudolfR2 thank you! Even if they have unit tests to fix too that is a trivial change. So seems they are holding it back to force people to buy v14, and an annual license is good for less than four months of updates.

Any comments from Parallels support?

16. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Chris, the fix will be added to version 13. We're preparing a hotfix and planning to release it until the end of May.

AaronN1 likes this.
  17. ChrisP13

ChrisP13 Junior Member

Thanks very much Dmitry. VMWare was a bit glitchy setting up networking - I had to manually reinstall the VMWare tools which took a few minutes, compared to Parallels' super-smooth install, but it is already fine with Ubuntu 18 and the $80 Fusion doesn't limit CPU or memory like the non-Pro Parallels does. Please feel the competitive heat!

18. JasonB19

JasonB19 Bit poster

19. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Holy @#$@#$#$%
    All this grief, waiting for 4.15 support for basically just handling 'data->expires' in the thaw timer?
    Sorry, there's something there to wipe off, but it's not egg...
    Wow, just, wow.

20. JasonP11

JasonP11 Bit poster

GitHub link fixed the issues - pretty sad when an outsider has to fix your stuff Parallels.