Failed to open the Parallels networking module

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BlueCrow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

Unable to oblige since I was in the process of doing archived re-install of my Mac OS. That finally succeeded successfully and I am happy to report that, that cured my Parallels issue and was able to do a success install of the latest build of PD4 which I am using now to respond to you!!

2. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

Thank You, Leenda, for collaboration, we are happy that Your problem successfully solved now. Hope You will enjoy using Parallels Desktop.

3. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

PS and FYI: I was unable to completely uninstall ANY application in addition to Parallels. Although I would delete or move to trash can the app icon in Applications folder, a "phantom" icon remained which seemed to prevent a re-install of the app to the folder. In addition, the Applications Folder was no longer able to be repaired for permissions, etc. No other folder seemed to be affected however.

4. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

PSS: This problem also existed with removing apps using their folder's "uninstall app" if it applied to the application such as with PD

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Leenda,
    Is problem still exists?
    If yes , please create ticket in support

6. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

No Parallels problems thus far, since the Mac OS X archived re-install which resolved the "failed to open Parallels networking module". As soon as my Mac booted up after the archived re-install, first thing I did was to update Mac OS X. Some of my Mac apps needed re-installing (those that have a folder in Applications with an uninstall app).

Then I did my PD4 reinstall using the 3540 build and all went smoothly and it seems to continue to do OK. I have been able to continue enhancing PD4 for my use such as installing drivers in PD4 for the Built-in iSight and Bluetooth using the Leopard DVD.

I do notice however that with PD4 installed, opening folders or exploring folders and volumes on my Macintosh HD like my Apple Time Capsule in Finder is slowed down to an irritating pace. This was also occurring when I had PD3 installed. Is this something for which I should open a new ticket for resolution or is already addressed in the Forum or Support area?

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hm, I believe new problem report will be good idea

8. ClaudiuV

ClaudiuV Bit poster

I wanted to get some clarifications:
    I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I got Parallels Desktop build 3049 (I tried to update automatically and did not work and after installing the last build the application simply would not start at all so I had to reinstall the original DVD build without upgrading).

Now it keeps telling me: "There is no network adapter on your Mac for ethernet virtual network. The network adapter 0 will be disconnected" every time I try to connect the adapter (it is alway disconnected) and every time I run Parallels I get the cannot load network module message.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?
    Thanks

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

ClaudiuV, please send a problem report and post here its number

10. ClaudiuV

ClaudiuV Bit poster

Dear Elric,

I already sent an email to which I got some sort of "prerecorded" message and I shall reply to that email with specific details since none of the behaviours of the application can be found in the troubleshooter.

I will try to create a ticket.

Thank you

11. ClaudiuV

ClaudiuV Bit poster

Dear Elric, the problem ID is #787647.
    Hope all is clear.

Regards,

12. ClaudiuV

ClaudiuV Bit poster

In the same saga: I deleted Parallels and installed directly the last build which gives this:
    Process: prl_client_app [283]
    Path: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    Identifier: com.parallels.desktop.console
    Version: ??? (???)
    Build Info: Parallels-3846.436204~4.0.3846.436204
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [173]

Date/Time: 2009-10-05 20:46:26.629 +0100
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
    Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 75672 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 14
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
    Anonymous UUID: 641D195E-FCB3-4F71-A967-4CC18423C539

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/libQtOpenGL.4.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    Reason: image not found

Therefore... I am really confused :)

13. ClaudiuV

ClaudiuV Bit poster

I apologize for the one after the other posts but I need to keep you informed. In a nutshell: I managed to reinstall Parallels (last build is crashing every time) and I ran into a rather different issue. If I choose bridging, it works fine, it gets the IP from the same network as the host machine, but, when I try shared network, we go back to square 1 (meaning no can do). Moreover, the Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest do not appear in the System Preferences, which means it does not install the adapters. Why? You tell me.

Regards,

14. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Ok.. I'm sorry to not mention that problem report should be sent from Parallels Desktop. #787647 appears to be not a problem report number. Please click menu Help -> "Report a Problem" and send a problem report. Then post here its ID..

15. Joe.06

Joe.06 Bit poster

Also having this problem.

I migrated from an old Mac to a new one. Parallels networking now refuses to work. No amount of uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot make it come back to life. Each time I try to launch the BootCamp VM (even recreating it from scratch) I get the "failed to open the Parallels networking module" error.

I've submitted problem report 11755272.

Thanks!

16. Joe.06

Joe.06 Bit poster

Aaand ... Fixed.

For whatever reason the permissions and ownership of the kernel extensions were fubar. Trying to load the kexts directly would throw this error:

Diagnostics for /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext:
    Authentication Failures:
    File owner/permissions are incorrect (must be root:wheel, nonwritable by group/other):
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/prl_netbridge.kext

I fixed it by:

# cd "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6"
    # ls -l
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 11 06:56 prl_hid_hook.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 11 06:56 prl_hypervisor.kext
    drwxrw-rw- 4 root wheel 136 Dec 18 08:31 prl_netbridge.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 11 06:56 prl_usb_connect.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root admin 136 Dec 18 08:31 prl_vnic.kext
    # sudo chown -R root:wheel *
    # sudo chmod -R 755 *
    # ls -l
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 11 06:56 prl_hid_hook.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 11 06:56 prl_hypervisor.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Dec 18 08:31 prl_netbridge.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 11 06:56 prl_usb_connect.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Dec 18 08:31 prl_vnic.kext

Note the incorrect ownership and permissions on prl_vnic.kext. After I fixed the ownership and permissions networking appears to be functional.

17. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thank you for hint. Can be helpful for other users.

18. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

4 years later, and still no resolution!

this rots. 4 years and no solution, pointers to kbs that don't exist... what's up with u guys... please fix this, as I hate VMWARE, but what else to do?!?