File sharing between macOS host and macOS guest on M1

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NgoniS, May 10, 2023.

1. NgoniS

NgoniS Bit poster

I am unable to access a folder shared on the host OS (Ventura 13.0.1) from a macOS guest VM (Monterey 12.4) on the same machine using the native macOS file sharing feature. I am able to access the shared folder from other Macs on my home WiFi, so I know that the shared folder and the sharing only user is working as it should. but it just does not work from the guest VM running on the same MacBook.

The guest macOS seems to be able to see the host Mac because when I connect to server, it brings up the authentication dialogue. But nothing seems to happen when I enter the user credentials I created on the host macOS to access the shared folder.

According to this knowledge base article "...file sharing between the main system and a macOS ARM VM is not supported... ...however, you can share files between the virtual machine and the Mac using the native macOS file sharing feature." (my emphasis). However, this does not seem to be the case. It appears that it is not possible to share files between the virtual machine and the Mac using the native macOS file sharing feature either.

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

2. DrewB3

DrewB3 Bit poster

I have encountered the same problem using native MacOS sharing on Desktop 18.3.1 with MacOS 13.4 (Ventura) with M1 Processors. I can see the guest from the host and vice versa within finder. I can also browse folders both directions. No files are shown, however. When I try to create a directory on the guest from the host, I get a permissions error. Very strange that browsing works, but I cannot access nor view any files. The only thing that does work as expected is the the guest VM can see files on the host under "My Shared Networks." My use case is that I need to access files on the guest virtual machine from the host. No luck yet in finding a solution. Appreciate feedback from others that may have found a workaround.