FIX For Parallels Tools to be installed on Linux Mint 16

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Jordangeek, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Jordangeek

Jordangeek Bit poster

I wanted to take a minute to share a fix for installing parallels tools on Linux Mint 16.

1. You will need to run the initial installer and let it fail
    2. After that, download the patch file originally provided by user Marcus Tomlinson The file is Available Here
    3. Next, Navigate to the media/user/ and drag and drop the 'Parallels Tools1' folder to your home folder
    4. Right click on the newly created folder, go to permissions, and change the top drop down to create and delete
    5. Now open it
    6. Right click on the 'kmods' folder, go to permissions, and change the top drop down to create and delete
    7. Now open 'kmods', delete the file in there and replace it with the one downloaded form above.
    8. Open up a terminal window and type in 'sudo -su'
    9. Now navigate to the folder 'cd Parallels\ Tools1/'
    10. Now it should install just fine 'su ./install'

I also got this to work the exact same way on Xubuntu, however i did not have to worry about the permissions.

2. CRomer

CRomer Bit poster

Jordan,

Thanks for this. Have you tried this on Linux Mint 17 yet? I can't seem to get the fix to work on that version.

3. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi CRomer,

As of now Mint Linux 17 is not compatible with Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac. Please refer to http://bit.ly/1hrSUe0 for list of Supported Guest OS in Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac.
    We are working on the product enhancements and we will include Mint Linux 17 Support in one of the future builds/versions of Parallels Desktop.

You may try installing Parallels Tools in Mint Linux 17 as suggested at http://bit.ly/1pAqrdS and let us know how it works.

4. CRomer

CRomer Bit poster

Ram,

I had tried those instructions for Parallels Tools prior to attempting the workaround from Jordan. Sorry, no go.

Any timeline on when Ubuntu 14.04 & Linux Mint 17 will get support?

Thanks,
    Chris

5. Johnisgolden

Johnisgolden Bit poster

I found that Linux Mint 16 with Mate Desktop worked fine after being installed directly from the iso using Parallels 8, but Linux Mint 16 with Cinnamon Desktop had numerous problems.