Graphics accel and blizzard games, S.S. (Cont'd)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by cdoublejj, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I was referring to Linux Guests because apparently I misunderstood your question due to the context of the thread.

For Linux Hosts there's Parallels Workstation for Linux. It's a different program, I never used it, there's a separate forum for it.

But now I'm really confused as to what are you trying to achieve, you are going in so many different directions.

2. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

well on one hand you would run linux in parallels on MtLion host and VM tiger inside of that linux oorrrr you could dual boot linux (which i do already) and put Tiger guest in side of VMware on a real linux host. just thinking up some possibilities here. on the other hand linux guest has hardware acceleration and wouldn't require a dual boot. either way though running vmware on linux, there is a chance to give OSX guest gpu acceleration with the vmware hack assuming it works that way.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There's absolutely no way to get hardware acceleration on a virtual machine that is running OS X whatever is the host OS. The only way, right now, is running it natively, period.

Let me rephrase there's no way to have gpu/hardware accel. on a OS X guest.

4. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

that explains why the hack is probably only used with windows then, at least from what i remember. oh well, i was just bouncing some ideas off the wall.

5. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

An idea/question just popped in my head. what about SL hackintosh in a VM like VMware, not sure if it would work in parallels and if that would give HW accel or not for either Parallels or VMware.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The answer is always the same, in order to have HW accel in a VM, the virtualization app (Parallels, Fusion...) has to hook in to the OS graphics API via a driver or kernel extension, Parallels or VMWare would have to develop such kernel extension or driver and for that they would have to have access to the API, and then it would be installed via Parallels Tools, for instance. But Apple doesn't give them that access, so there's absolutely no way or hack to do this, hackintosh or no hackintosh, the only way would be to reverse engineer OSX and write the kernel extension yourself, the adequate kernel extension that would hook up with the OS and the virtualization app is what's missing.

That's why I said: "there's no way to have gpu/hardware accel. on a OS X guest."

7. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

Well then sorry to beat the dead horse. Thanks for the insightful post, i had not known that prior.