Hololens2 Emulator on Windows10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BlairM1, Nov 8, 2019.

1. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I am trying to set up a Windows 10 installation for doing Hololens2 development. see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/install-the-tools
    Everything installs and sets up fine.
    But when I run the emulator, I get the error showing in the attached image as it's trying to start up the Hololens2 OS inside the emulator.
    You can see the requirements for the emulator here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/using-the-hololens-emulator , but I'm pasting them here (I have the latest windows 10 pro, so the OS requirements are met):
    HoloLens Emulator system requirements
    The HoloLens Emulator uses Hyper-V with RemoteFx (1st Gen Emulator) or GPU-PV (HoloLens 2 Emulator) for hardware accelerated graphics. To use the emulator, make sure your PC meets the following hardware requirements:
    • 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education
      Windows 10 Home Edition does not support Hyper-V or the HoloLens Emulator.
      The HoloLens 2 Emulator requires the Windows 10 October 2018 update or later.
    • 64-bit CPU
    • CPU with 4 cores (or multiple CPUs with a total of 4 cores)
    • 8 GB of RAM or more
    • In the BIOS, the following features must be supported and enabled:
      • Hardware-assisted virtualization
      • Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
      • Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
    • GPU requirements
      • DirectX 11.0 or later
      • WDDM 1.2 graphics driver or later (1st gen)
      • WDDM 2.5 graphics driver (HoloLens 2 Emulator)
      • The emulator might work with an unsupported GPU, but will be significantly slower

Attached Files:

LarsB4 likes this.
  2. Hi, could you please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's id here?

3. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

(Didn't see this till just now. Will update Parallels and Windows to most current versions, to be sure the report is relevant, and do this now)

4. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

Ok, just updated to latest parallels and Windows10. Same error on the Hololens2 emulator. The technical data report id is 327938193

5. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

6. Yes, sorry fir the delay please. We've involved Engineering team in this case and contact you immediately once we get any updates from them.

7. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

Developer mode is (and was) enabled. I've run the Hololens2 emulator on a PC w/ Windows, I'm pretty sure I installed everything the same way here.

8. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

Does it work for you?

9. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

It works fine not in Parallels. In Parallels it doesn't. Sorry I wasn't clear.

10. MaartenS

MaartenS Bit poster

I seem to have the same problem.

I have enabled nested virtualization and am trying to run the HoloLens 2 emulator inside my Windows 10 pro Parallels VM. I am running this on a new 16" i9 2.3ghz 16gb MacBook Pro. VM settings: 8gb ram, 4 processors, parallels Hypervisor, 1gb graphics memory. I tried with auto graphics memory and PMU virtualization enabled as well. Same result:

The emulator window pops up and seems to hang on 'OS is starting' however if I let it run a long while (15 minutes) it boots up. It shows the default HoloLens menu and I am able to move around. Interacting works as well but when losing the settings menu for instance it opens up the settings window but never makes it to show the settings.

I think the conclusion is that running the HoloLens 2 emulator inside a Parallels VM is just extremely slow. I tried installing the HoloLens 1 emulator but it says it needs Visual Studio 2015, after installing this (including tools) it still has the same error message saying it needs VS 2015 and rolls back the installation.

11. BlairM1

BlairM1 Bit poster

Interesting, I never got that far, no matter how long I left it. Will try again, but that kind of speed is not going to be useful.