How do I recover data from a deleted VM file?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DonL1, Dec 17, 2017.

1. DonL1

DonL1 Bit poster

I am running Parallels 11.2.3 on my MacBook Air. The primary usage is for Quicken and Microsoft Office. I have Windows 7 installed with Parallels. For some reason, Just yesterday when I tried to access Quicken, a screen popped up with this error message:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received. PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROMvv No boot device is available, Press Enter to continue.

After much searching and anguish, I created a new virtual machine with Parallels, reinstalled Windows 7, reinstalled Quicken and got those things to work. Did not lose any data since I had a backup Quicken file. I have not yet reinstalled MS Office.

I know hardly anything about Parallels but read that I should delete the old virtual machine file. I did that and during the process I was asked if I should save all associated files. I said YES because I want to get access to my Microsoft Office programs and data. So the question is: How do I do that? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @DonL1 Parallels Support Here! If you have any Time Machine backup, please try to restore the PVM file http://kb.parallels.com/122623 If you are unable to find any PVM file, then it is not possible to restore the data. You have to reinstall the MS Office. Thanks, Shathish

3. DonL1

DonL1 Bit poster

I followed suggestions outlined in kb.parallels.com/123150. It worked! Got back to my original VM and all data was there! Thx!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DonL1, glad to know it works. We are always here to help!

5. KelleyK1

KelleyK1 Bit poster

Hope you can help. I was in the control center, and it asked if I wanted to revert to snapshot, and I clicked yes, and it took me back to the only one it had which was 2013. There is now only data from that period on my computer and in Windows. This was not my intention. I have a back up in Time Machine but it is from August of 2018, and I am missing important data and documents from August 2018 through January of 2019. Where did the data go? There was no "are you sure" or anything and it all happened within about 45 seconds. Is there any way to get back my stuff? Thank you for helping with this. I called tech support and the person was kind enough, but he was not helpful.

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Unfortunately, it is not possible to recover the data if the virtual machine was reverted to a previous snapshot. Even if you recover the VM from Time Machine it will have the data till the backup was done.

7. KelleyK1

KelleyK1 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. Although does not make any sense. Perhaps a suggestion - you have a box that pops up that asks "are you sure you want to revert to old Snapshot and do you want to back up your current folders?"

8. You can send your suggestion to the Engineering team directly here https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-desktop-for-mac-feature-suggestions.769/
    We will be very appreciate your activity at "Feature suggestions" thread. Thank you in advance.