Huge parallels.log

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RynoB, May 5, 2011.

1. RynoB

RynoB Bit poster

Hi,

For some reason my parallels log file located in C:\Windows\Logs grew to 65GB...

Is there a way that I clean / or delete the log file? When I try to delete or open it in notepad it gives me the "Access Denied" error.

Thanks.

2. CosmoW

CosmoW Bit poster

Ironically, I have just noticed a similar issue with a huge parallels.log and so did a google search for parallels.log is huge and ended up here. Mine is currently 21GB and I would like to reclaim this file space, which has now grown to about 1/8th of the entire space on the given HD partition in question so please advise.

3. CosmoW

CosmoW Bit poster

FYI: Actually, was able to open the file and it is filled with ton and tons of entries from recent cut-and-paste related crash from trying to cut from Windows VM and paste into MacOSX such as:

03-28 14:45:23.319 F CPTOOL /copypaste_guest_communicator:3256:dd0/ Can't send packet. Tg-request failed with status 0xf000001c
    03-28 14:45:23.320 F CPTOOL /copypaste_guest_communicator:3256:dd0/ Can't send packet. Tg-request failed with status 0xf000001c

Therefore, I'm just going to attempt to delete the file directly. Hope this info helps someone.

4. sws2011

sws2011 Bit poster

35 GB here

So does anyone know if this file can be deleted?

C:\Windows\Logs\parallels.log

35 GB TXT file is, well, nuts.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

More important than deleting the file is eliminating what's causing it to grow like this, is it still growing? Or was this a localized problem that isn't happening anymore.

6. RobertMoss

RobertMoss Bit poster

Same problem here. I opened a support ticket and the reply was how to make my disk image larger.
    I may have to start over with a fresh VM. Just switched from VMWare and the support is not looking to
    good so far.

7. RobertMoss

RobertMoss Bit poster

After a few more rounds with Technical Support they have solved the problem for me.

First they made sure of the following (which was not the case in my situation, but may help others here):

1. Launch Parallels Desktop.
    2. Navigate to the following path: From the Parallels Desktop menu on Parallels Desktop menu bar -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Use Detailed log messages (Remove the tick/check mark against it).
    For more information, you can refer the below mentioned link:
    http://download.parallels.com/deskt...n_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/33340.htm

What did get rid of the 37G log file was the following:

Please perform the below steps to resolve the issue:
    Compress the hard disk and check status of the issue.
    1.Shut down the Virtual Machine not Parallels.
    2.Go to "Virtual Machine"-->Configure-->Select Hardware tab-->Hard disk1-->Compress.
    If you face any snapshots related errors while compressing, please refer the below link:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/9165
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/10107

8. TAFKAS

TAFKAS Bit poster

This is not really a solution.
    Compress the disk. This is not funny.
    I've imaged the XP notebook from the company I'm working for. Their security policy say that the disk has to be encrypted. So my virtual XP disk is as large as the partition: 20 GB. (don't tell me to encrypt my MacBook, it's their policy)
    20GB is enough for XP but I run in problems when this parallels.log file takes more than 9GB file space.
    I do not want to remove the encryption because I don't want to harm the policy of the company. Nevertheless this is not the way it should work.
    I found with the Process Explorer that pro_cc.exe opens the parallels.log file.
    I kill the process with the task manager and then delete the parallels.log and start pro_cc.exe again, which is found in the Program Files folder.
    A workaround, not a solution.
    I expect to find registry keys to change the behavior of prl_cc.exe.

9. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

It is easy to get rid of the file, if Parallels support went such hopeless numpties they would know!

Remove parallels tools from windows.

Reboot

Install parallels tools

I also suffer from constant cut/paste crashes and huge log files!

10. stefarg

stefarg Bit poster

I found deleting the file and restarting the VM solves the problem. It looks like parallels gets stuck in some copy /paste error loop.

When you delete the file it won't disappear immediately but will be deleted when you restart the VM.

11. clarifix

clarifix Member

This issue is not getting resolved by the Parallels people.

A lot of bells of whistles in the product, but what about fixing important bugs like this?
    Between 03-28 15:36:02.498 and 03-28 15:36:42.592 my Parallels generated an 8,47 GB log file.
    The only entry that keeps repeating is:
    03-28 15:36:42.592 F CPTOOL /copypaste_guest_communicator:3016:8ac/ Can't send packet. Tg-request failed with status 0xf000001c
    03-28 15:36:42.592 F CPTOOL /copypaste_interceptor:3016:8ac/ send CPTOOL_ACCEPT_BUFFER_DSP failed

This thread is almost a year old. Fix your bugs, please.

12. brvno

brvno Bit poster

same bag of crap there :)

/Library/Logs/parallels.log after 5 days 1,2GB!
    Use detailed log messages is not true.

workaround (another):

echo > /Library/Logs/parallels.log in startup items.....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  13. KimE

KimE Bit poster

Brvno - I too have a problem with this file. My Library>Logs>parallels.log is 205 GB. I didn't even know this log existed. I've been a Mac user only 1 year. I also do not have detailed logging checked in preferences and all my errors are cut/paste as well. Can you explain what your work around does and the steps to doing it. I'm still new at a lot of the terminal commands. Thanks in advance!

14. brvno

brvno Bit poster

KimE: echo command simple write to given output (in this case). and result is parallels.log size = 0b.

create plain text file: ClearParallelsLog.command (make sure that extension is .command)

write following:

-------------------

#!/bin/sh

##
    # clear parallels.log
    ##

echo > /Library/Logs/parallels.log

-----------------

and save to your Documents folder (for example)

change mode of this file:
    1 - open terminal window
    2 - cd to your Documents dir
    3 - sudo chmod 744 ClearParallelsLog.command
    4 - enter pwd

Open System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items "+" add created script.

logout and login and check parallels.log size (probably will have more than 0b because parallels processes is still running on background, but it is ok.)

AND: DO NOT FORGET ON IT :) when you will need log from parallels.

Or, you can simple stop Parallels go to folder /Library/Logs/ delete log file empty trash and write to Parallels support about this problem (Help > Report Problem) and pray.

Because there are a lot of issue untouched more than year(s)...

definitely if Mountain Lion will require new version of Parallels, v7 will last I used.

15. brvno

brvno Bit poster

New update is released, but its about W8 not about our problems :)

again all issue continues... and logs growing and growing and waste disk and preparing for problems...

16. KimE

KimE Bit poster

Great thank you! Yes, I noticed the new update of Parallels last night after I posted on this thread, loaded it, but no fix for this issue! This is a pretty major issue. My file was over 200 GB. Absolutely ridiculous! Good thing I have an enormous hard drive!

I'm trying my best to get away from all Windows applications but there are still a few that don't work in Crossover, so I'm stuck with having a VM and absolutely hated VMWare. But, maybe it's worth another look. :)
    Thanks again.

17. LynnO

LynnO Member

I was on the verge of upgrading my SSD boot drive because I was running out of space even after moving everything I could to another drive, then I noticed that my parallels.log file was using up 60% of the total drive space. Thanks for the instructions on how to clear out the log.

18. AA1234

AA1234 Bit poster

Anyone still having this issue with log file in Windows... a quick and dirty method of disabling logging... remove all security from the parallels.log file on Windows and then parallels won't be able to do any logging.

19. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi guys,

Please do the following:

1. Delete parallels.log manually
    2. Measure the time is starts growing rapidly (more than 1 GB)
    3. Submit a problem report (Help>Report a Problem)
    4. Post the problem report ID (3) and time the log took to grow (2) here

20. evilruff

evilruff Bit poster

It's being a while since any news on this thread. I can confirm that it's still like that on V8 Build 8.0.18483.
    I can live with a fact that it's growing by making a script which will remove it on restart or something similar. My main concern is that then it starts to grow it takes enormous amounts of IOResources. it could be really quite for hours and then starts spawn log with a famous message about /copypaste with a 3-5Mb/sec which degrade performance a lot.

Detailed log switched off.