The Parallels Internet Blues -- am I right?
Having silently shared the frustrations of the many who can't get internet via Parallels, and who have received no help on this from the otherwise helpful support team, I thought I should share what seems to be the best (not happy) solution for those who have a similar setup to mine (high-speed cable modem from home via dominant ISP in my area, southern Ontario in Canada).
1. When I couldn't get an IP address while running Windows XP Pro as guest OS, I installed a Linux OS (Ubuntu) with excellent click-by-click instructions for installation under Parallels. If I could get the internet with Linux, that would confirm that it was a WIndows problem (as my prejudices made me willing to believe). But, no joy with Linux either, in spite of detailed suggestions on that site for internet troubleshooting. So it is a more general problem -- given my standard setup -- with running any guest OS in Parallels.
2. A couple of observations from other members of this group (e.g., that the guest OSs work with wireless hub but not on a fixed connection, or in an office LAN environment with freely available DHCP assignments but not at home, and a suggestion about fooling the guest OS by giving it the same MAC/hardware address as the Mac), combined with long conversations with my ISP support team, lead me to conclude what was probably obvious to some experts all along, but wasn't to me.
3. Namely, the guest OS (contrary to my expectation) does not take over the ethernet-hardware address of the Mac. In my case, Windows and Linux each produces its own ethernet address. An obvious problem, then: since the Macintel's ethernet address has already monopolized the DHCP assignment, and since the ISP offer only one IP address per home customer (and claim indignantly that this is standard practice among providers), the other OSs have no chance of getting internet access under Parallels, with a cable modem. It's that simple.
4. Unless: (i) I use a router (wireless or hardwired), which itself distributes DHCP addresses to different hardware addresses from the one signal coming in; (ii) purchase from the ISP a second IP address (@$10/mo.); or (iii) as someone already suggested, tell the guest OS that my MAC address for that system is the same as my OSX, though in that case use of the internet in the guest system would knock out its use in OSX, which would return only on closing the guest OS.
5. I'd be willing to try (iii), but -- pardon my ingorance -- I don't understand how to force the guest OS to accept a new MAC address. Can anyone help? As far as I can see, although I can add DNS information, etc., to a network setup panel, the MAC address is given by the system.
6. Finally, if what I (a non-techie, obviously) have concluded is basically accurate, it seems both straightforward and surely an extremely common problem. If it is common, why don't the people from Parallels mention it as a fairly serious limitation on the featured internet access via the guest OS?