installing a trial version

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by FranzH1, May 26, 2016.

1. FranzH1

FranzH1 Bit poster

I am using OS X Version 10.8.5, with Parallels 8 running Win 7 as a VM.

I would like to try the trial version of the latest/newest version Parallels. If I install the trial version, do I need to re-install my Win 7 and Office 2010, or does the software recognize the fact that it is already installed? Or do I start from scratch? My goal is to upgrade to El Cap, but I want to make sure P11, Win 7 and Office 2010 work well before plunging in.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    FH

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello FranzH1,
    After upgrading to Parallels Desktop 11, you do not need to reinstall Windows or create a new virtual machine. You can use your existing virtual machine.

Upgrades are possible for Parallels Desktop 9 and later. Please visit this article to install Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.

If your previous version key is for Parallels Desktop 8 or earlier, visit the Parallels Online Store to purchase a full license for Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.

3. FranzH1

FranzH1 Bit poster

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do understand that since I am using P8, I cannot upgrade and have to buy the full license.
    After installing the trial version, you say Win 7 and Office 2010 will be there, all ready for my trial period. Then, if I like it, go to the Online Store to buy it.

Do I understand you correctly?

4. Hello FranzH1,
    Yes, you are right after your Trial period , if you are fully satisfied with the latest version you can go ahead and buy the Full version from our online store.
    And you can use your old virtual machine after installing the Full version.
    Note: you have don't have to (re)install Windows OS.

5. FranzH1

FranzH1 Bit poster

Lastly, is it easy to unwind/uninstall/delete the trial version should I not like it?

6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey @FranzH1,
    It is easy to uninstall Parallels Desktop, please refer for more information.