Issue with downloading or playing Netflix Videos using Netflix APP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Kekm, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Kekm

Kekm Bit poster

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Macbook Air M1 chip. I downloaded parallels then downloaded all updates (apart from the Windows 11 update), then downloaded the Netflix app, logged in and tried to download a movie and I get the following error message "There was a problem with the download vc2-cv2-v6" , it also doesn't allow me to play movies from the app either but I can in chrome.

I looked online, I saw some talk regarding a media pack but I don't think this is needed for my setup as I am using Windows 10 Pro Dev addition (Insider).

Has anyone managed to solve this yet or anyone having the same issue? As I would prefer to watch Netflix on my Mac rather than on my phone if I am travelling.

Thanks,

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    First of all, we do understand the issue is annoying but actually the issue can't be fixed from our side and requires an input from Microsoft.
    Kindly open Microsoft Feedback Hub and add your vote to have the issue fixed sooner: https://aka.ms/AAn0zib.

3. Jordan11

Jordan11 Bit poster

Hi,
    Did you fix this issue?
    Anyone to help?

4. WillowW

WillowW Bit poster

Still no fix for this. I've tried to watch purchased videos on Movies&TV app and Disney+ not working either. I've tried every solution I can think of. Best guess? It has something to do with the way Parallels bridges the internet to the guest OS. The verification the apps do ultimately fail due to the internet protocol not working right.

5. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Following. I specifically still have Parallels to download Netflix for offline viewing on my new M1 Mac, and now this.

6. Jordan11

Jordan11 Bit poster

Nothing on my side i could nt find a fix... happy to have one if someone did find one

7. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

I feel like this issue is likely on the Windows ARM Preview side rather than Parallels. I wonder if anyone using Windows ARM Preview but not Parallels (i.e. natively) has the same issue?

8. WillowW

WillowW Bit poster

So, I believe I have a fix for watching DRM videos on Windows. IDK just yet and will create a new post once I reset (if not reinstall) Windows 11. I got someone on Microsoft Support that told me what the errors are being caused by. Here is the screenshot for the error code I always got. Error Code 0x800700c1

Attached Files:

9. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Please keep this thread up to date as well.
    Also, Windows update and Microsoft Web Experience (or whatever it's called) update today. While Netflix still doesn't work, the error has changed: Something about this video not be available to play immediately. Never seen that Netflix error, but it's obviously not the real reason.

10. Jordan11

Jordan11 Bit poster

error being caused by what?
    can you share more details please
    thanks

11. Jordan11

Jordan11 Bit poster

Hi,
    Yes have the same now..
    Dont think it s windows arm related otherwise you ll have plenty of forum speaking about it.. quiete related to Mac but cant figure out what..

12. WillowW

WillowW Bit poster

Jordan11,
    Here's what I'm thinking it is: Microsoft still has the deal with Qualcomm exclusive and there's a DRM check every time you try to watch a DRM protected movie. It's why Disney+ app, Netflix app, Movies & TV app, etc (but not the websites as that's done through the browser). do not work because they use an API that checks for DRM protection which also includes a check if the system is running Qualcomm Arm chip. This would obviously fail because the system is reporting an "unknown" cpu aka Apple silicon. It's the only possible reason for this error. It also does this when using the Xbox app and DRM protected games, the reason they run slowly.
    UPDATE:
    I did reset, reinstalled, and deleted the original VM file and created a new one. Still no good. I even tried using the Movies & TV app with the Parallels tools uninstalled. Failed with the same error code. It has to be a DRM issue since the internet works for everything else. I used Little Snitch (found here https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html) to figure out what server the Movies & TV app connects to when playing a purchased movie. It was an xboxlive.com server.
    To End:
    If anyone can find the Registry part that checks for DRM protection and change the value? There might be a fix for it yet. I'm going off what the Microsoft Support person told me yesterday about these kinds of error codes being a corrupted file from an uninstalled app/program. The only errors I know of that isn't affected by resetting/reinstalling for Windows is Registry errors.

13. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Thanks for providing your thoughts. I think this makes sense.
    As an alternative, I tried to install the Netflix Android App, but I cannot install the Amazon Appstore. It says I don't have enough RAM in my VM (8GB minimum), but when I set the VM to use 8GB of RAM (and confirmed it has 8GB of RAM via About My PC), it still tells me there isn't enough RAM.
    Is anyone able to install the Netflix Android App as a workaround??

14. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Actually, looks like after two (??) reboots of my VM, I can install the Amazon Appstore... TBD if Netflix will work.

15. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Welp, can't start Android Subsystem because:
    https://kb.parallels.com/116239
    Note: this feature is currently not supported in Parallels Desktop on Mac computers with Apple M1 chip.

This is really frustrating. My Parallels annual subscription comes up soon, and if this general issue isn't fixed, I'm going to be canceling.

16. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Amazon Prime Video doesn't work either:
    You don't own this video or have an active rental. Review your orders at www.amazon.com/digitalorders. If you recently purchased, the payment method might have been declined. For rentals, the rental period might have expired. For further assistance, please contact Amazon Customer Service at www.amazon.com/video/contactus and refer to error 7035.

17. WillowW

WillowW Bit poster

Correct!! It has to be a registry error. But what will it be? I think I found it earlier but now I lost it. Will report back if I find it. This has nothing to do with Parallels but with Microsoft exclusivity with Qualcomm. If/when the contract ends, this will work again.

18. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Waiting with baited breath! o_O

19. WillowW

WillowW Bit poster

Still no good!! Can't find a registry with DRM specifically for Qualcomm that makes sense (thought there's a registry file with uDRM). I think I'm at my wits end. Will leave it alone for now. I got too much going on trying to get back to work lol

20. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Thank you for trying!

21. BenjaminS18

BenjaminS18 Member

Random question: My Windows is inactive (meaning I didn't pay for Windows Home or Pro). Could that be making a difference?