Kali extremely slow/laggy with Parallels 16 [Solved!]

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BehozanL, Nov 29, 2020.

1. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

After following mister Mark Fine's great guide to successfully apply this patch in order to be able to install Parallels Tools for Kali Linux with Parallels 16, my Kali has become very slow/laggy. Moving mouse and typing take like 30 seconds to reflect. However, which is strange, typing a "poweroff" or "reboot" commands take immediate effect.
    As an example, here are other people having similar issues:
    Fedora Linux 32 is very slow in Parallels Desktop 16 (he says not all of his Parallels Tools kernel modules are loaded up, mine are though)
    Parallels Desktop 16 and Windows 10. Windows is extremely slow with 100% processor load

Anyone can help please?

2. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

Heeelp!

3. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

Dude, don't walk, run as fast as you can to another product. Parallels doesn't care about their linux customers (if you couldn't tell already from the lack of kernel support) and won't fix it. RUN.

4. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

Das ist very inconsiderate on their part. Which another product would recommend? The paid one or the free one?

5. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

I really wanted to like Parallels. I tried hard to make it work with Kali and even opened tickets to try to help them see where their problems were. But it was the same old song and dance every time there was a new kernel. Once in a great while DKMS would actually work, but most of the time you have to "patch" some prl mod or other from something a user (not Parallels) kindly contributed.

I eventually switched to the paid one, from the company that practically invented virtual machines, at least for the x86 architecture, in the late 90's. Now, instead of manually patching Parallel's code for them, I can focus on hacking. Life is good.

6. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

Well, I think enough is enough. You're right, I'm switching. I just can't take it anymore, it's either run now or die waiting.

7. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

So, I have tried the paid virtualization product and I couldn't even boot into the graphical interface on it and after getting into the recovery console another problem showed up, no internet connection. I have not been able to solve either problem after fucking around a lot. Fuck me.

8. TrustedComputer

TrustedComputer Member

I am not sure how you managed to do that, but it's definitely not normal. Maybe you tried to convert your Parallels VM with the tools still installed? Go and grab a fresh 2020.4 image from the Offensive Security VM Download Page. It will work.

9. BehozanL

BehozanL Junior Member

Solved by running "startx" in the command line upon logging in!