Leopard 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aderium, May 30, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

2. netingenuity

netingenuity Bit poster

Ok. Will do. But I'm about to travel for a day and may not get to it before the weekend. Thanks.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

All I can see that Dreamwaver caused several crashes on Mac OS., no mentione about graphic glitches with Parallels
    By the way this can be the case
    Aug 6 22:26:22 karen-krepss-macbook-pro Dreamweaver[219]: Dreamweaver(219,0xa095ffa0) malloc: *** error for object 0x1f375bb8: Non-aligned pointer being freed\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    Aug 6 22:26:22 karen-krepss-macbook-pro [0x0-0x24024].com.adobe.dreamweaver-9.0[219]: Dreamweaver(219,0xa095ffa0) malloc: *** error for object 0x1f375bb8: Non-aligned pointer being freed
    Aug 6 22:26:22 karen-krepss-macbook-pro [0x0-0x24024].com.adobe.dreamweaver-9.0[219]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    Aug 6 22:27:56 karen-krepss-macbook-pro Dreamweaver[219]: Dreamweaver(219,0xa095ffa0) malloc: *** error for object 0x1f3694d8: Non-aligned pointer being freed\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

4. netingenuity

netingenuity Bit poster

So that means that the system.log didn't reveal any clues about the repaint problem, I guess. Thanks for looking at it. I'll still follow steps in kb http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790 when I get a chance, after tomorrow and I'll report on what happens. Thanks.

5. tx0478

tx0478 Bit poster

Dear All,

As mentioned earlier I sometimes also have the screen repaint problem. Although I am running Parallels, the symptoms turn up regardless the fact whether Parallels is actually running/ever started in the current session (after Mac OSX reboot). I am not computer expert but I concluded that this problem may not have much to do with Parallels, but shows some correlation with the actual utilisation of the CPU (the higher that is, the more likely the problem could be experienced.) This is though ridiculous taking into account that my MacBook Pro has 2,6 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 4GB of RAM.

I am afraid Apple tries to pass responsibility (not for the first time :)

What do you think?

Best Regards

Gergő

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Dear tx0478,

Be sure you're using the latest build (5608), that you uninstall the previous build according to this article, you update Parallels Tools in the VM, and set the Video memory for the VM to 64MB.

Best regards,

Me!

7. tx0478

tx0478 Bit poster

Thx very much, I will do so... may that solve the problem even in a case when Parallels is not running?

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

What do you mean by 'Parallels is not running'? Not working? Under Boot Camp?

9. tx0478

tx0478 Bit poster

No. I meant that I sometimes have a screen repaint problem under Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4 (usually using Safari), and when I experience this problem, Parallels (5608) is usually not running, ie. I have not started it. Since it is then only a couple of gigs on my HDD, not an application that for the time being uses CPU and memory, I assume that Parallels does not have much to do with the screen problem I am having. So again, not running means that I did not start it and therefore it is not running. Had I started it, it would be running smoothly.

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It's unrelated to Parallels, have you installed all the updates available for Mac OSX?

11. tx0478

tx0478 Bit poster

Yes. Sooner or later I will need to reinstall Leopard.

12. Kazuri

Kazuri Bit poster

Screen flicker problems with Parallels, Leopard

I see people making comments from several months ago... I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard 10.5.4, and I'm running Parallels 3.0, build 5584 with Windows XP. Had no problem at all before upgrading. Now I repeatedly get problems with the Windows screen -- at first it looked like flickering but on closer inspection it seems like either the whole screen or sections of it start to toggle back and forth between current screen and previous one.

For example, when using Lotus Notes Inbox, you can click on arrow at top of column to toggle between listing the emails by date received or alphabetically by sender. When the "screen flicker" problem happens, it starts toggling very quickly back and forth between these two views, making the screen look like it's flickering.

Same thing happens when using WORD, Internet Explorer, etc. Goes on for a minute or so, stops, starts again a few minutes later...

Has anyone found a solution?

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Upgrade to Parallels 5608 and see if the problem still exists.