[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

  • Yes, great. need one

    Votes: 176 95.1%
  • No

    Votes: 9 4.9%

  • Total voters
    185

RyanM8

Bit poster
I have an annual subscription. It would be awesome if we could be licensed for two computers. I use a laptop and my desktop for business, and it's a real pain to have to keep unlicensing one system, log into the website to grab the license and register the other computer every time I use it - rinse and repeat. Please consider adding dual licensing -- even Adobe does this, and Microsoft gives you 5. It seems pretty standard practice these days where two computers is pretty common.
 
+1 for this suggestion.

Other subscription models like the JetBrains IDEs binds the personal license to a person and not on a single computer:
https://intellij-support.jetbrains....s-and-operating-systems-with-the-same-license
https://sales.jetbrains.com/hc/en-g...use-my-personal-license-on-multiple-machines-
https://sales.jetbrains.com/hc/en-g...-use-my-personal-license-at-work-and-at-home-


Please be fair and do the same like JetBrains.
Hi @Hanterdro. Thanks for your post. Feature requests will be implemented depending on several factors including business feasibility.
 
Hi @Hanterdro. Thanks for your post. Feature requests will be implemented depending on several factors including business feasibility.

I see the dollars in your eyes...
But you should also consider that you have competitors:
  • VM Ware Fusion has the same quality level as Parallels Desktop and allows multiple installations.
  • And Virtual Box is free (and shit)
I suppose that more people would by Parallels Desktop if you would become competitive in this point.
 
I agree with all the comments in here. Now that you have the annual subscription model, we are committing to the product. It's time for Parallels to make a contribution back to the customers. Show the community that you're more than a money-grubbing monolithic corporation. Personally, I think we should be able to install Parallels on 2 computers (any platform) with the home edition, and on 5 computers (any platform) with the pro edition. I have the pro edition and It's the most I've ever paid for an application. I will definitely cancel it if I don't start feeling the love.
 
I agree with all the comments in here. Now that you have the annual subscription model, we are committing to the product. It's time for Parallels to make a contribution back to the customers. Show the community that you're more than a money-grubbing monolithic corporation. Personally, I think we should be able to install Parallels on 2 computers (any platform) with the home edition, and on 5 computers (any platform) with the pro edition. I have the pro edition and It's the most I've ever paid for an application. I will definitely cancel it if I don't start feeling the love.
Hello @DavidK18. Your comment will be forwarded to our management.
 
I think @DavidK18 said it well. I'm a software developer, and happy to pay for the Pro edition on a subscription basis, but I need to use the product at home when I work at home and in the office when I'm in the office. Currently I need to buy two licenses, which gets expensive.

I think allowing 2 machines on a single license is very fair and would help your power users. I would even be fine with restricting it so that it could only be running (non-paused/suspended) on one of those 2 machines at any given time.
 
Using 1 Parallels license on various computer system is possible. For example, at work I use my laptop and at home my desktop. Previously I was allowed to use my license at both machine under the restriction that I do no use the license simultaneously.

Now I need to transfer the license per switch by entering the username, password and license key. Very user unfriendly. I would prefer to stay locked in and one press on a button to transfer my license forth and back. All information is already stored at my parallels account, so this wanted feature is easy to implement from my point of few.
 
I also agree with this thread. I have my iMac Pro with Parallels installed on it and would like to have it on my laptop when I travel.
For the occasionally use on my laptop, getting another subscription is not cost effective. I have multiple software subscriptions and this is the only one that limits me to a single computer. Right now I am forced to use Boot Camp on my laptop, which is annoying to have to reboot each time to the windows partition, but it is a free option.
 
I think your license should be bind to the user, not the computer. Because I need to switch from my imac to macbook occasionally and getting a second license is not worth it. I have Jetbrains toolbox subscription (includes 16 different IDEs) and I spent nearly most of my time using them, and I'm paying just 150$ to it and I can use it on any number of computers I want as long as it is me using it. Please bind license to user, not the computer.
 
I am right now purchasing VMware Fusion instead of a 2nd copy of Parallels because of what I've learned in this exact thread. I need to use a VM on my Desktop when I'm in my office and on my laptop when I'm on the road. Even Adobe allows this type of usage!
 
I really don't think our posts here have any effect on what the company does.
I would like to think so, but unless more than just a few people complain, they have no reason to change their business model.
They also don't know how many sales/subscriptions they miss out on, based on this business model.
I don't see how allowing two installs would hurt their bottom line, but then, I don't know the entire picture either.
 
ditto. Allowing a single simultaneous instance, no matter which computer it is running on would be very welcome. The value of the software comes from actually running it, so if it can only run one instance per license but have it installed on multiple macs, that would be great.
 
Back
Top