Mac App Store won't sign in Monterey M1 VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ScottN57, Jan 28, 2022.

1. ScottN57

ScottN57 Junior Member

Hi all-
    I've created a Monterey VM on my M1 Mac mini from scratch and I can't sign into the App Store or iCloud. Same thing using UTM.
    Mac App Store Error: This Action Could Not Be Completed
    iCloud System Pref Error: Verification Failed. The action could not be completed.
    Is this a known issue for virtualized Monterey on Apple Silicon? I haven't found anything about it using Googlefu.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. BernardH

BernardH Junior Member

Best Answer
    Yes this is, unfortunately, a known issue. The following link states:
    "it is currently not possible to adjust guest macOS screen resolution in real-time mode when resizing ratio; to change virtual machine amount of CPU and RAM or its hardware parameters (Device UUID and Serial number) and to register with Apple ID."
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/125561

3. oztrev

oztrev Member

Argh, just bought Parallels 18 for Mac M1 and still -- 9 months later -- you cannot use your Apple ID. I thought this was supposed to be the M1 version?! I think I will have to seek a refund :(

4. oztrev

oztrev Member

The refund route is just as broken as PD18 for M1:

"Parallels Return Policy
    1. For copies purchased in the Parallels Online Store

Within 30 days of your product download purchase, you may request a full refund, for any reason. You can submit your refund request to Cleverbridge, the order-processing partner of Parallels, using the link here. Automation allows you to get a refund quickly if all the requirements are met:
    • We cannot accept a return if more than 30 days have passed since your purchase.
    • Parallels cannot refund purchases made through other online stores. Please contact the online store directly for their refund policy."
    And of course when you try the provided link and fill in all the details, you are met with a screen saying that you cannot do this online but must provide a reason for the refund and contact customer support instead! Broken, broken, broken...

5. MatthewK13

MatthewK13 Bit poster

Seriously?
    Parallels = "In collaboration with Apple, Parallels engineers created the world's first prototype of a macOS virtual machine (VM) running on a Mac with Apple M series chips. With Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac, you can now download and install a macOS VM on Apple M series chips just with a few clicks."
    Apple = "Your Apple ID is your gateway to your Apple device, and it is the account that is used for all Apple services and devices. We've listed some of the ways the Apple ID is used below.
    1. Syncing content like contacts, photos, files, messages, backups, and more when ‌iCloud‌ services are enabled.
    2. Locating a lost or stolen device with ‌Find My‌.
    3. Making ‌App Store‌ purchases.
    4. Making Apple Store purchases.
    5. Using services like ‌Apple Music‌, Apple Arcade, and ‌Apple TV+‌.
    6. Activation Lock so a stolen device can't be used."
    Parallels = "Most productivity and integration features are not available to this VM yet. It is not possible to suspend and resume the VM, shared folders and snapshots are not supported for now. Apart from that it is currently not possible to adjust guest macOS screen resolution in real-time mode when resizing ratio; to change virtual machine amount of CPU and RAM or its hardware parameters (Device UUID and Serial number) and to register with Apple ID."

So, you can create a VM, whoop-dee-doo, BUT ACTUALLY USE IT FOR ANYTHING USEFUL OR WORTHWHILE AT ALL???
    *****NO*****