macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Howyagoin

Howyagoin Junior Member

2. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

I've installed Parallels Desktop 16 this morning. It's still completely broken. It will not start. Just keeps asking me to restart my Mac. Same as before.

3. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

I've also just tried deleting the Parallels Desktop app and then re-installing v16. Still the same result. Won't start, and just asks to restart the Mac.
    What's the procedure for completely removing Parallels Desktop?

4. BenJ1

BenJ1 Bit poster

With PD15, Big Sur guest can install from installation media, but as soon as installing Parallels Tools, it won't boot.
    After Installing the parallels tools in Big Sur guest on PD16, the VM boots (yay), but the graphics drivers are not working (still using default/fallback graphics, no integration). Are the parallels tools supposed to work with a Big Sur guest ? I don't see anything about this on the KB - should i raise a ticket?

5. boyin

boyin Bit poster

same thing happens to me
    please give us a full instruction of how to reinstall

6. JanC7

JanC7 Bit poster

Tried to completely uninstall parallels with app clean. Still hanging in the loop.

7. codingbuilder

codingbuilder Bit poster

Here the same issue. Big Sur as host, Parallels always asking to restart the Mac. After the restart same thing again. Anyone with a successful installation on BigSur Beta 4 here?

8. darren3

darren3 Member

Well, my MacBook Pro 15" is having constant crashing, mainly when Parallels 15 was running. However, now with Parallels 16 I can't even start the VM,

9. darren3

darren3 Member

I had a bit of success,
    - PD16
    - I still had to enable the "allow extension" from security in preferences (but I didn't get a popup, just stumbled upon it)
    - I then changed the hypervisor to "Parallels" as I was using Apple
    I have noticed that the UI of settings jumps around as I'm selecting options, i.e. selecting parallels in hypervisor displays a screen over the top and then you can see parallels overlapped, but strange, but seems cosmetic.
    So far seems to be working, but it was usually a couple of hours before my Mac would power off

10. wi1s0n

wi1s0n Junior Member

Hey
    I've installed PD16 on my Mac, and restarted when prompted. But now the VM just hangs during startup.
    Version 16.0.0 (48916)
    VM Win10, latest update.

Please assist ASAP.

Attached Files:

11. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

Currently, on a support chat with an agent. PD16, macOS Big Sur Public Beta. It still doesn't work.
    They got me to run a command in the terminal which they seemed pretty sure was going to fix the problem following a restart.

sudo kextcache --clear-staging

But it didn't fix the problem. Now they are taking technical data so it would seem they are not sure why it's still broken.

Julio.Bouza likes this.
  12. Julio.Bouza

Julio.Bouza Bit poster

It seems PD16 is not so ready for Big Sur LOL

13. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

I just got off the support chat. No solution, unfortunately. They need to investigate further with the technical data I provided. They said someone will follow up with me via email.

As I said previously though, the VMware Tech Preview does run on Big Sur. I have my VM up and running in that on Windows Insider build 20185. But it's not ideal. It feels buggy and sluggish. But maybe acceptable to some people I guess.

Again, thank god for Bootcamp.

14. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

Has anyone got PD16 successfully running on Big Sur Public Beta? I would be interested to know if the problem is widespread or specific to me?
    I can understand why Parallels would release v16 claiming full support for Big Sur when it's broken. They have released this early too I think because of the issues. Going from previous years, the update usually doesn't come until around the 20 August.

15. wi1s0n

wi1s0n Junior Member

Well, I did get it to run now. I don't know if has anything todo with what I did or it just "fixed" itself.
    I let it hanging for 30min. Tried "Actions -> Shut Down". Didn't work. Tried "Actions -> Stop". Didn't work. Now I forced it to quit. When I restarted the PD, I got the prompt to restart the Mac due of Parallels installation. I restarted the Mac, and fired up Parallels VM again. Same thing, same freezing screen. Let to hang like 30min again, and then I tired "Actions -> Reset". After 10min I forced to quit again and restarted the Mac once more. Now I entered the Configuration and had a look around. I changed the CPU & Memory, Hypervisor to Parallels. Now when I started the VM I got the message in the Windows login that it is trying to do a repair. It took like 5min and now I got the prompt and logged on the VM. When logged in, the Parallels Toolbox started to install. I was prompted to restart Windows. I did. When logged on Windows again, I shut it down so I could revert the CPU & Memory setting to Apple again. Started the VM/Win and all OK.
    As I said, I don't know if it has anything to do with anything, but I'm up'n'running now.. 2,5h later..

16. codingbuilder

codingbuilder Bit poster

I gave it a try too - to no avail. Only noteworthy issue: the dialog box that popped up after I reran, mntioning that Developer Tools Access has to take over: Screenshot.png

Attached Files:

17. anic297

anic297 Member

My problem hasn't been resolved with Parallels 16. I still have to start in safe mode for the BS guest to be useable.
    Please don't underestimate my issue: it's not because I'm the only one describing it here that I'm the only one encountering it.

18. Jamie7

Jamie7 Bit poster

Exactly the same here.

19. Hello, could you please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please?
    And share with us the report's ID.
    (short issue description will be very helpful, it's a very long thread.)

20. OdinB

OdinB Bit poster

Thanks for sharing all this information. Will wait a bit before upgrading to Big Sur.