Hi,
I'm testing Parallels 4 for Mac and set up a Windows XP VM with a single processor to test its performance. I noticed that the system event log would register "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Uniprocessor Free". I benchmarked and tested applications and everything was fine.
I then changed the settings to allow the VM use 2 processors and noticed the system event log would register "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free". I benchmarked and tested applications and everything was fine and running even faster.
After I shutdown the VM and changed the preferences back to 1 processor, I noticed the system event log registered the boot up not with the uniprocessor kernel but the multiprocessor. All the while, the perceived performance hit rock bottom: XP turned slow as molasses.
I did boot up and shutdown tens of times and it never reverted to the uniprocessor kernel on its own (only by creating a new VM and reinstalling XP). Is this a Windows problem or a Parallels problem?
I'm testing Parallels 4 for Mac and set up a Windows XP VM with a single processor to test its performance. I noticed that the system event log would register "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Uniprocessor Free". I benchmarked and tested applications and everything was fine.
I then changed the settings to allow the VM use 2 processors and noticed the system event log would register "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free". I benchmarked and tested applications and everything was fine and running even faster.
After I shutdown the VM and changed the preferences back to 1 processor, I noticed the system event log registered the boot up not with the uniprocessor kernel but the multiprocessor. All the while, the perceived performance hit rock bottom: XP turned slow as molasses.
I did boot up and shutdown tens of times and it never reverted to the uniprocessor kernel on its own (only by creating a new VM and reinstalling XP). Is this a Windows problem or a Parallels problem?