Native resolution for external monitor no longer available (Macbook Pro Retina)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by danieltharris, Aug 5, 2013.

1. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

Greetings,

Recently the native resolution for my external monitor is no longer available.

I know that as I am running Retina display that Parallels will make available a resolution set to double the native for external displays, this is to account for the DPI scaling in Windows.

However, the native res of the external monitor (1920x1080) is not available when I go to change resolution in windows.

Is there a config file I can modify anywhere to add back the native resolution? Since the Parallels video driver controls what resolutions are available I am hoping that there is a simple config file I can change to add it back in.

Any advice? The native resolution used to be available, but now there are two either side of it, with the native not available at all.

2. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

No way to just set both screens to run at their native resolution, with no changes made by Parallels?

This would be extremely useful and appreciated when Windows 8.1 is released, as it attempts to handle having displays of different DPI ratios. However, the current Parallels driver seems to interfere with Windows by doubling up resolutions etc. I just want to be able to connect the display and have both seen at their native resolution, no up/down scaling attempted by Parallels.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

If you're willing to experiment try changing guest type to Windows XP. Among other things this will disable resolution doubling on external displays. However, Windows 8.1 won't be able to detect DPI properly but that's another story.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013