Network Initialization Failed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StephenB13, Oct 6, 2018.

1. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Hi everyone.

I haven't managed to find any threads with anyone having this same problem. I just downlaoded Parallels Lite to try out running an older version of MacOS to test some things. Whenever I launch a VM I immediately get a message saying: "Network Initialization Failed. Your virtual machine will continue working normally but will have no network connection."

This happens long before the OS loads (or in the case just now after trying again, even before the OS has been installed). I've tried all of the suggested network troubleshooting option but most don't apply (I'm not running windows and the problem seems to be in Parallels not in the OS itself), and none of the others work.

I have selected "shared networking." But I have also noticed that I don't even have the option to choose bridged, and when I look at my network options it doesn't even list any of my network hardware.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I've restarted my Mac, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels. I've installed parallels tools. Again the problem seems to be in parallels itself (or something in my host OS), not in the OS that's being hosted.

I'v attached a few screenshots of what I'm seeing. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any further information.

I'm running MacOS High Sierra updated to the latest version (though obviously I haven't installed Mojave yet). on my host computer. It's a 2017 5k iMac. 24GB of RAM.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi StephenB13,
    Under VM Configuration > Hardware > Network > Advanced changed network adapter to Intel Gigabit / Realtek and check if it helps.

3. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Hi @Ajith@Parallels,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I tried all of the different options for network adapters and all of them give me the same result.

4. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Anything else I can try? Any settings I need to check on my iMac? Anything like that?

5. Please provide the guest macOS version. Also, confirm whether it is 32bit or 64bit operating system.

6. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

macOS Sierra 10.12.6. It's 64bit.

But I also don't think it has anything to do with the guest OS. I got this same message as soon as the virtual machine started up before the OS had even been installed (I've now tried installing it 3 times, same result every time).

7. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Any further suggestions? I'd very much like to get this working! (I've also got a few things i wouldn't mind doing in a windows VM but I don't want to pay for a new license until I'm sure VM's I run will have network access!).

8. Are you trying to use the macOS virtual machine for the first time using Parallels Desktop or was it working fine previously?

9. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

This is the first time I've been trying to do this. Until this project I haven't used Parallels in years, the last version I had was 8. I'm trying to do this in Parallels Lite now, as I understand the Parallels 8 is a bit too hold to run Sierra.

10. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Any further suggestions for things to try?

11. Please refer this article to open the configuration window, select Hardware -> Network and select the '-' symbol to remove it. Restart Parallels Desktop, open configuration window, select Hardware and select '+' symbol to add the network adapter once again. Then start the virtual machine and check if it works fine.

12. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Unfortunately that did not work. Same problem. I get the exact same message after removing the network hardware, restarting Parallels, adding it back and starting up the VM.

I even tried it a second time with another restart of Parallels after adding the Network adapter back again before starting up the VM. Same error message, same problem.

13. BenF2

BenF2 Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue. Has a solution been found for this? It occurs on a brand new installation of any of the built in Linux VM's. I previously had Parallels 13 Pro on my systems and was wondering if that was a factor.

Diane2 likes this.
  14. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

No solution yet.

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi. Please reproduce the problem. Them go to the Parallels Desktop menu Help -> Send technical data. Post here its number.

16. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Sorry took me a few days to have time to sit down at my computer at home again. # is 281893862.

17. StevenW4

StevenW4 Bit poster

Experiencing the exact same issues.
    iMac Pro - macOS High Sierra V10.13.6
    Parallels V13.3.1(43365)
    User took a security update on the iMac, rebooted, and then the Parallels network connection will not function.
    I have tried all of the above and everything so far has failed.

EDIT: FIXED
    Decided to check Parallels for update. Updated to V13.3.2(43368)
    Rebooted, and iMac said it needed to upgrade to run the disk. No version change for macOS. The network connection started working as soon as I launched the WinOS.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  18. Hi StevenW4. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please post again for additional queries.

19. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

I'm still having this issue on Parallells Lite.

20. StephenB13

StephenB13 Junior Member

Still haven't found a solution. Any suggestions? Any possible updates coming down the line for Parallels Lite? It seems like an update fixed the regular version for StevenW4 above...