Network problem with MS OneNote

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ValentinS, Dec 27, 2009.

1. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I didn't understand what dropbox was until I went to www.dropbox.com. File conflict handling is mentioned at https://www.dropbox.com/help/36
    People have made scripts and utilities to get a list of conflicts. There's also a Windows add on to do merges.

2. SebastienB2

SebastienB2 Bit poster

same problem here.

Everything worked fine with 10.5.8 and parallels 5.

Updated to 10.6... still worked fine.
    Updated to parallels 6 ... and now Onenote is not working.

The whole point of parallels for me was onenote. It is now unusable. I tried everything (from changing path, to not "syncing").

I am using a win laptop for class, but cannot edit anything home, as i can't synchronize from within onenote.

And no, I do not want to use the C: in my VM. it is not running all the time, and docs still sync w/o it....

any fix ? ideas ?

3. SebastienB2

SebastienB2 Bit poster

same here.

everything was fine under parallel 5.
    just upgraded to 6, and voila! not working.
    I really need it! that is the only reason I bought parallels in the first place ....

and no, I cannot place it under the C: I use the onenote section on a pc... and they synced.

tried everything... and there is no way for me to make it usable ... it is really annoying!

4. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

The problem with OneNote had been fixed in PD5 9344, but the fix caused many problems with other applications, and we decided to revert the fix. Please, use network shares to work around the problem with OneNote. We are working on the problem.

5. SebastienB2

SebastienB2 Bit poster

What do you mean by network share?
    Like a nas on my network? Or you are referring about share folder on pc and Mac?

While I have one nas at home I could use, it is still not the best solution (especially when I tryto snc data between computers directly)

6. vasilyz

As I have understood, you are keeping your notebook files on a Mac side, and OneNote accesses them using Parallels Shared Folders/Shared Profile. If so, to work around the bug in Parallels Shared Folders, you should share the folder with your notebook files inside by SMB protocol. To share the folder, use System Preferences->Sharing pane of your Mac. Then you should configure OneNote to access the notebook files by \\your-mac-name\folder_with_notebooks.

7. SebastienB2

SebastienB2 Bit poster

Thanks.

Tried it, but now the error is 0x5 (instead of 0x6): notebook not connected ....

Tried to sync multiple times, but it is not working. (\\COMPUTER NAME\the folder) after sharing and making sure it is enabled as SMB under sys pref.

Any ideas ?

S.

8. vasilyz

0x5 - is "access is denied". Do you have read/write access to \\COMPUTER NAME\the folder?

9. SebastienB2

SebastienB2 Bit poster

I do have r/w.... access
    Can do anything on it .....

10. ThuA

ThuA Bit poster

Do we have a solution for this yet? It is a problem with Windows 7, Parallel OS and OneNote.
    Works just fine with WinXP on Parallel OS.

11. AmyF

AmyF Bit poster

As far as I can tell, the only solution as yet is using Dropbox/sync service of your choice installed on your Windows VM and other computers to save the files. I had this problem this evening, running Vista on Parallels 6, but got around it by installing Dropbox into Vista as well as Snow Leopard.

12. Johnny77

Johnny77 Bit poster

I wanted to buy and use Parallels for OneNote. Downloaded Parallels and installed OneNote. When I updated notebooks got a sync error. After the restart of Parallels - all my updates vanished away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft solution doesn't work.
    Tried Dropbox as suggested - Dropbox is veeeery slow.

Cannot use Parallels as it is. Please fix this.
    Thank you.

13. Retirrell

Retirrell Bit poster

Couldn't open any OneNote files

i had the same problem where I was unable to open my notebooks or sections and I was just stuck at the screen where it was trying to sync. I tried the /forcerepair option, which resolved the issue with one of the notebooks, but then it was still trying to sync the Unfiled Notes notebook. I went to the Microsoft site and looked up the rest of the OneNote switches, and tried out /safeboot. It gave me an option to clear the cache and I am now able to open OneNote without any problems.