New Windows 10 VM - Kernel Panic Attack on Mac Host during Disk Expansion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by clqu, Oct 16, 2019.

1. clqu

clqu Bit poster

Hi, I have a MacBook 2017 13-inch with TouchBar running on the latest verison of MacOS Catalina (10.15 - 19A602) along with the latest Supplemental Updates. I am running the Parallels Desktop Version 15.1 (47107) - licensed.
    I created a new Windows VM (still have not installed the OS - just configuring the Hardware). When I go to expand the disk size (to increase the disk file to 200GB), I get a Kernel Panic Attack on the Mac). Then I deleted the VM and created a new one, this time attempting to increase it to 100GB, but the same issue occurred (another Kernel Panic Attack) and the Mac rebooted. I am using the nVMe1 (Location) option. I prefer expanding the disk file to the required size, rather than allowing the Hyper-Visor managing the disk space on its own, due to potential performance issues.
    I have adequate free disk space on the Mac's SSD (around 420GB free), and the MacBook Pro is plugged in (not running on the battery).
    I did not have this issue on the same Mac when it was running on MacOS 10.13 and 10.14 with Parallels Desktop. I performed a clean OS installation and installed MacOS Mojave.
    Can someone help out?

2. clqu

clqu Bit poster

OK, so I deleted the Disk from the VM. Created a new one of 40GB turned off the "Expanding disk" option. Then I started increasing the disk space by every 20GB or 40GB until I reached the 200GB size (with the "Expanding disk" option turned off), and was using the NVMe option/port/location. I did not get any kernel panic attacks. There could be 2 causes - either changing the disk space by considerable amounts (100GB or 200GB), or decreasing the disk space causes the kernel panic attacks. @ Parallels Desktop - can someone investigate this?