Odd Issues w/ Start Menu, Settings & Others With Parallels 17 w/ Windows 11 ARM Preview

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnC82, Oct 27, 2021.

1. JohnC82

JohnC82 Bit poster

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice here. I got my new Mac mini yesterday and I'm trying to get Parallels working to run a handful of Windows only apps.

After installing Windows 11 ARM Preview from the Insider program, I notice the following:

- The start menu seems to disappear at times, requiring a reboot of the virtual machine.
    - Only the 3rd party software I installed seems to launch well.
    - I can't launch notepad, or windows settings to opt into the flighting program. Most windows applications tend to be a coin toss as to whether or not they will launch.

From surfing around the forums, it seems folks are having better luck than I. Hoping someone can make a few suggestions to where I may have went wrong.

2. SergV

SergV Bit poster

Best Answer
    Exactly the same issues. MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max.
    Latest Parallels: 17.1.0 (51516)
    Latest Win 11 ARM VHDX: 22483

Cannot run Settings and most Win 11 native apps.
    Win menu is freezing or unresponsive sometimes
    From events log I see that SearhIndexer.exe crashing, so no search in Win menu

Tried to install "Configure for Games", "Configure for Development", totally custom install, etc

3. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

I installed ARM preview as well, and the start menu seemed to ignore all attempts to interact with it. I think Windows also updated and rebooted.
    Did you install the Parallels Tools? Ctl/Alt and under the "Actions" menu, choose "Reinstall Parallels Tools" and that seemed to fix it for me.

4. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Or not. I'm going to try a fresh install.

5. SergV

SergV Bit poster

Thank you !!! installed 22000 from UUP Dump, installed all updates.
    So far works without any issues ... and like 10x faster and smoother than my old i7 Intel MacBookPro + Parallels + Windows 10 Pro

6. JohnC82

JohnC82 Bit poster

I'm with SergV, things working much better now! I had tried a few UUP Dump this morning, but thanks for pointing me to the correct one.

7. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are happy to hear that your issue has been resolved. Please reach us back for any further queries. Thanks, Parallels Team.