Office 2011 crash

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JeremyR4, Mar 31, 2020.

1. JeremyR4

JeremyR4 Bit poster

Hi,
    I've bought a 16" MBP, which of course runs Catalina. I'm very fond of Office 2011, particularly Word, and I want to carry on using it. So I've created a generously-endowed VM and installed a clean copy of Mojave, then brought it bang up-to-date.
    I downloaded the Office 2011 installer from MS and ran that, then again brought everything up to date.
    So I have a clean, up-to-date installation of Office running under a clean, up-to-date installation of Mojave. There is no other software installed on the VM (other than Parallels' own stuff, of course).
    Problem: every time I try to run any of the "big three" (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), it crashes immediately after the "choose a document type" dialog. If I double-click an existing Word document, it flashes briefly on screen before Word crashes.
    I've fiddled with the memory allocated to the VM, with all the various settings; nothing makes any difference. Other software seems to run just fine (as did the Office installer). I've even tried copying the Microsoft folders (to /Library/Application support and /Library/Preferences) from my iMac Pro, which is running Mojave and on which Word runs as smoothly as it ever has.
    I'm stumped. Any ideas gratefully received!
    Jeremy

2. mlondon88

mlondon88 Bit poster

Hi Jeremy,
    Did you ever find a solution to running Office 2011 on Parallels?
    I'm running latest version of Parallels and having the same problem.

3. JeremyR4

JeremyR4 Bit poster

No. I had no help here, as you can see, and it became clear that my affection for Office 2011 had to be overcome. I'm now a reasonably contented user of Office 365 (or whatever it's called this week) which, combined with some AppleScripts and Keyboard Maestro shortcuts, works almost as well as the decade-old software used to do.

4. mlondon88

mlondon88 Bit poster

Hi Jeremy,
    I just updated to Parallels 16 running Mojave VM under Big Sur.
    Happy to report that Word 2011 is WORKING !!!
    Occasional crashes, but that happened even without Parallels :)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. Hey, thanks a lot for sharing your results with us.
    Please ping us here if the issue reoccurs.