Official ubuntu-20-04-live-server does not boot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DragosI, Mar 9, 2022.

1. DragosI

DragosI Bit poster

Hi,
    I am on Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac Pro Edition version 17.1.1 (51537) on a Macbook Pro M1 with MacOS Monterey 12.2.1. I have downloaded official ubuntu-20-04-live-server-arm64 images from the Ubuntu web site and installed them using Parallels. After the installation completes successfully, the VM reboots and then it freezes on EFI stub messages (screenshot attached). The VM is unable to boot into Ubuntu OS.

I have tried ubuntu-20-04.4-live-server-arm64.iso ubuntu-20-04.3-live-server-arm64.iso and ubuntu-20-04.2-live-server-arm64.iso, but the same behavior occurs: installation works, but it freezes when booting the installed OS.

Earlier, I was able to install and run ubuntu-20.04 under Parallels (same M1 system), but now it does not seem to work anymore. I have an older Ubuntu 20.0.4 installation and I am able to boot into it. I have not tried to update it, and I will probably wait with that until there a workaround in case it gets stuck as well.

When using the "Download Ubuntu Linux" option under the Installation Assistant, the installation works it is able to reboot. However, that does not help my use case where I need to install from the official image.

I have tried setting vm.bios.efi=0 under Hardware-->Boot order-->Advanced settings but it did not help. I also tried having the ISO "loaded" in the CD device during boot (another suggestion from your site), but that did not help either.

Looking forward to some advice on how to proceed.

Regards,
    Dragos

EFI.png

NevilS, StanislavK4, AdamZ2 and 2 others like this.
  2. HernanRodriguez

HernanRodriguez Bit poster

Hello all,

Same thing here. Not able to install Ubuntu Server 20.04.x from official site. However a previous (months ago) VM installed using official ISO (20.04.02) is working flawlessly.

Looking forward for instructions for a workaround or fix available.

Regards,

Hernan

3. MarkC63

MarkC63 Bit poster

Same problem here.

AndreasB30 and StanislavK4 like this.
  4. AdamZ2

AdamZ2 Bit poster

Same here, very odd. Updated today and this error occurred. Tried reinstalling with original iso but issue persists. Ubuntu desktop works normally.

AndreasB30, StanislavK4 and MarkC63 like this.
  5. StanislavK4

StanislavK4 Bit poster

Same problem here.

Attached Files:

6. MarcoM17

MarcoM17 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Actually, I had a previous Ubuntu VM running on a previous version of Parallels on my M1 Mini (Monterey) that was running just fine. I updated Parallels, updated Ubuntu with apt and it stopped working with the same EFI stub error. The desktop version downloads, installs and works just fine. The server version does not.

Please help, this is a show-stopper for me!

StanislavK4 and MarkC63 like this.
  7. dougP3

dougP3 Bit poster

I have the same problem and I've been struggling with it for days. Any Ubuntu version after 18.04 refuses to boot unless you boot from the previous kernel. It seems that kernel 4.15.0 works, but 5.4.0 (after upgrading Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04) does not. Nor do any other later kernel versions (tried natively installing Ubuntu 20.004 and 21.10). I would dearly love to know a work-around for this issue if anyone has got to the bottom of it!

StanislavK4 and MarkC63 like this.
  8. MelihA1

MelihA1 Bit poster

I have experienced the same problem. I deleted the Ubuntu and reinstalled it from Parallels. But this time I didn't update Ubuntu and I didn't install Parallels Installation Tools. I have been testing it by powering off and restarting. So far it seems to be working. I hope the Parallels team can find a better solution to this problem. It is really nervous to work with an unstable vm.

StanislavK4, dougP3 and MarkC63 like this.
  9. MarkC63

MarkC63 Bit poster

I contacted Parallels Support on twitter and they told me to send them technical data via "Help" -> "Send Technical Data..." (according to this link: https://kb.parallels.com/9058 ) when the bug occurs.

10. BernardoT

BernardoT Bit poster

Same here. Today I restarted the VM and it does not boot anymore. I get the same as the screenshot above when trying to boot with recovery and this when choosing the standard boot:
    upload_2022-3-11_19-36-8.png

11. AdamZ2

AdamZ2 Bit poster

It seems to be a kernel issue, "5.13.0-35" doesn't boot.
    Went on a hunt yesterday, not just Parallels but all other VM software is the same. One has already rolled out a fix.
    Submitted a support ticket, hopefully they investigate.

12. BrianC43

BrianC43 Bit poster

I am having the same issue with Ubuntu 20 Server and Desktop:
    • Ubuntu 20.04.4 Server hangs with 5.4.0-104, but I can boot if I select 5.4.0-91 during Advanced boot options
    • Ubuntu 20.04.4 Desktop hangs with 5.13.0-35, but I can boot if 5.13.0-25 is selected.
    As a temporary workaround:
    • /etc/default/grub - GRUB_DEFAULT=0 -> GRUB_DEFAULT='Advanced options for Ubuntu>Ubuntu, with Linux 5.4.0-91-generic'
    • update-grub
    Hoping for a quick resolution from Parallels as this is a significant impact to our current workload.

OndrejM2 likes this.
  13. BernardoT

BernardoT Bit poster

SO after some tries and every time I installed a new Ubuntu from the standard Parallels installation I was getting the same error after the second reboot. I now did this command right after Ubuntu installation to prevent automatic updates of the kernel and it seems stable for now...

I checked the kernel version with "uname -r" and then made it hold with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-mark hold 5.13.0-25-generic

MarkC63 likes this.
  14. MarkC63

MarkC63 Bit poster

Who has the fix? Do you have a pointer to the issue or fix? The other commercial desktop VMM I tried also had the same issue as parallels

15. HernanRodriguez

HernanRodriguez Bit poster

Hello all,

I was able to boot from Ubuntu 21.04 iso image using 5.11.0-49-generic kernel.
    Tried with 21.10 but 64K boundary image error appeared.
    BTW, when installing, I cancel all security updates, just to keep original iso files deployed.

Regards,

16. AdamZ2

AdamZ2 Bit poster

UTM

MarkC63 likes this.
  17. PaulG40

PaulG40 Bit poster

If anyone from parallels is listening this is probably because the newer kernels contain this kernel commit

commit 9e45365f1469ef2b934f9d035975dbc9ad352116
    Author: Joey Gouly <joey.gouly@arm.com>
    Date: Fri Dec 10 16:54:31 2021 +0000

arm64: add ID_AA64ISAR2_EL1 sys register

This is a new ID register, introduced in 8.7.

Signed-off-by: Joey Gouly <joey.gouly@arm.com>
    Cc: Will Deacon <will@kernel.org>
    Cc: Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>
    Cc: James Morse <james.morse@arm.com>
    Cc: Alexandru Elisei <alexandru.elisei@arm.com>
    Cc: Suzuki K Poulose <suzuki.poulose@arm.com>
    Cc: Reiji Watanabe <reijiw@google.com>
    Acked-by: Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>
    Link:
    https://lore.kernel.org/r/20211210165432.8106-3-joey.gouly@arm.com
    Signed-off-by: Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@arm.com>

And parallels is probably aborting when it is being read, unimplemented system registers should Read as Zero / Write ignored rather than abort. There was a very similar bug in QEMU/UTM which was fixed last week.

MarkC63 likes this.
  18. PaulG40

PaulG40 Bit poster

That is to say unimplemented CPUID system registers should RAZ/WI not all unimplemented system registers.

19. AdamZ2

AdamZ2 Bit poster

20. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

Adding myself to the list....