OS X El Capitan - Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by FarhanA, Aug 5, 2015.

1. FarhanA

FarhanA Bit poster

I am trying to install El Capitan *Public* beta version (available here) in Parallels Desktop version 10.2.2. I followed this tutorial to create the bootable dmg and mounted it in a new VM that I created following that tutorial (OS X type with no USB 3.0 and other configuration changes). When I start the VM it says...

Boot Failed. EFI Hard Drive
    Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM

...and then falls to EFI Shell as shown below. Any ideas on how to fix this?
    [​IMG]

2. FarhanA

FarhanA Bit poster

Anyone?

3. ReneB2

ReneB2 Bit poster

4. FarhanA

FarhanA Bit poster

Thanks, ReneB2! It's a long workaround, but I can put up with it :) I am installing Yosemite from the recovery partition and will report back once I am able to upgrade.

5. FarhanA

FarhanA Bit poster

Different problem. For some reason my primary HD in the VM has a corrupt partition. When I repair disk it says...

Invalid B-Tree node size
    The volume could not be verified completely.

For some reason I can't boot into recovery. I tried Cmd+R without any luck, and then tried this method, but I don't see com.apple.recovery.boot on any of the partitions :(

6. FarhanA

FarhanA Bit poster

After a reinstall I was able to get recovery to boot, but erasing the base HD and reinstalling OS X Yosemite still results in similar issues with the primary hard disk. I have a late 15" 2013 Macbook Pro and all other virtual machines seem to work fine. Even with Yosemite the install works fine and it runs OK, but when I go to upgrade to El Capitan then it complains that it cannot continue because it cannot verify the disk. Any ideas?

7. RoelandR

RoelandR Bit poster

in Parallels Desktop Version 11.0.1 (31277) the default is to disable the efi boot (see the xml in config.vps file inside the vm package)
    <Bios dyn_lists="">
    <EfiEnabled>0</EfiEnabled>
    </Bios>
    you could try to place in the boot menu vm.bios.efi=0 or vm.bios.efi=1
    use the vm configure menu >> the tab hardware >> select boot order >> Advanced Settings.
    In my case the file system check (I tried to upgrade from a vm based on 10.10.5 recovery disk)
    is stil detecting the VM hdd as corrupted.
    using the GM did not work either, it doesn't contain a bootable partition or is not compatible with latest Parallels Desktop.
    I only succeeded on using the Developer Beta.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member