Parallels 10 Dock Icon

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gernot Leitgab, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Gernot Leitgab

Gernot Leitgab Bit poster

I don't want to have a separate dock icon for every virtual machine - how can i suppress this in Parallels Desktop 10?

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Best Answer
    Hi All,
    A new build for Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac has just been released - build number 10.1.2 ( 28859 ).
    We are happy to inform you that your request for customizing icons in the Dock has been addressed in this build.
    Please update your Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac to the latest build by following http://kb.parallels.com/111603
    Update summary of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is available at http://kb.parallels.com/122720

3. GrinningShark

GrinningShark Junior Member

I have the same question. In P9, I would only have my regular dock icon... in P10 it shows an dock icon for each active VM.

4. Gernot Leitgab

Gernot Leitgab Bit poster

Déjà-vu from last release: [THREAD=290492]Parallels 9 shows guest icon in dock bar?[/THREAD]

5. ShadowVA

ShadowVA Bit poster

In addition to not wanting the multiple icons in the dock, can we also please have the ability to launch previous VM's put back on the main icon. In v9, I could right click on the Parallels icon on the dock and launch VM's that I had previously run. That was VERY convenient. If you are changing things and are now going to have an icon for each running machine, then get rid of the main "Parallels" one, as it is worthless. In other words, pick one way or the other...put it back the same as v9 or get rid of the main icon and just have one for each running machine. Thanks.

6. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

The Windows Start menu icon is a feature to make all the Virtual Machine a stand alone OS which helps you to explore the concern Virtual Machines configure and option. Particular Virtual Machine can also be pinned to Dock in order to start the Virtual Machine directly before starting the application.

7. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

ShadowVA,

The feature is still available in PD10, please right click on Parallels Desktop icon from the Dock and check for your previous VMs.

8. GrinningShark

GrinningShark Junior Member

All these options you are referring to are available in the regular menu and title bar for the application, so it still doesn't make sense why it is the way it is. At least make it an option to do it the "new P10" way and turn it off for users that liked the P9 way of using it. I hope your reply doesn't really mean "it is the way it is and we aren't changing it".

9. ShadowVA

ShadowVA Bit poster

Then you have a bug. The MRU list shows up sometimes when the VM's are running, but are not sticky. When I started up my machine this morning and went to launch the VM's that I had running yesterday, the MRU list (when I right clicked on the application icon in the dock) was empty. When I look at it right now (while I have 1 VM running) that machine is in the MRU but the other 2 machines that I had running last night are not in the list. Sorry to report, but you have a bug.

10. Christian V

Christian V Bit poster

Parallels, please add my voice to the chorus: there needs to be a way to disable/hide/turn off the extra dock icon for each VM. For me (and I suspect many other users!), this is an unwanted new feature in version 10.

11. Ed Stembridge

Ed Stembridge Junior Member

Ditto the above. When I shut down Win7, and then "Quit," The Win7 window goes away, but Parallels is still running and still has its icon in the Dock. P9 did not do this - when I "Quit," it quit. No more app in the Dock.

The P10 behavior makes no sense and requires an extra step to remember.

12. SmittyofDHS

SmittyofDHS Bit poster

PD9 issues all over again. In PD8, I had 1 menu bar icon to do everything I needed - PERFECT. PD9 brought 2 icons, the menu bar and dock icon overlap each other and are redundant and I have now 2 icons. PD10 coms along and now I’ve got 3 icons, 1 menu bar & 2 docks. WTF Parallels?? I do hope that Parallels support is reading this as this is probably the last time I’ll be on these forums. I originally was a VMWare user and moved to PD8 because the better OS X integration. Since then, this product has gone down hill. I’m moving back to VMWare because of Parallels inability to listen to their users requests. All thy had to do was bring back Crystal Mode in Coherence and everything would work fine.

13. datahaus

datahaus Bit poster

+1 - VERY annoying

14. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

Adding my voice to the list of Parallels 10 users annoyed at the lack of an option to disable the dock icons for individual VMs.

In PD10 Preferences > General > Virtual Machine Dock Icons please add No Icon to the list above OS Icon and Live Screenshot. I was quite surprised this wasn't an option to begin with.

15. bytesplit

bytesplit Bit poster

I agree with GrizzlyAdams, add a way to disable this separate icon. Before, when using Command-Tab to switch between Win and Mac I instantly got switched. Now I switch from Windows to Parallels and then another Command-Tab to Mac.

This is very bad! This icon might be useful to some who are more in this Coherence stuff. I like my OSes separated and don't need three more Dock icons popping up. The main one is enough! I would even appreciate having only this menu bar icon and NO Dock icon added at all...

Please reconsider your options Parallels... I'm not converting my demo into an upgrade that easily!

16. geoff_g

geoff_g Bit poster

+1000!!!

I'm now quitting more often to get rid of the extra dock icon....this is dumb.....

17. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

+1 PLEASE change this to a configurable option only. For those of us who only use one VM on a regular basis (MANY of your customers), this is extremely annoying. But I do like the option available for the rare times I run multiple VMs.

18. JensenG

JensenG Bit poster

I only have 1 VM, and now I have to deal with the Parallels icon in the dock PLUS my one VM's dock icon. 2 Dock icons for 1 virtual machine? Makes no sense. Is there a way to turn it back to the way it was with Parallels 9 where I access Parallels only from the Parallels dock icon, so there is no additional icon for the virtual machine?

19. neilc1

neilc1 Bit poster

I agree - I have three icons - one for Parallels, one for Win 8.1, and when I'm running an app like Quicken, one for that too.

Please consolidate these into one virtual space icon. Multiple icons serve no purpose if you are not running in coherence mode.

20. KirilP

KirilP Bit poster

This is the most annoying feature ever.
    Now I have three dock icons when I only need one for my Windows VM.

Please make this configurable.

21. drewallen

drewallen Bit poster

I second this!