Parallels 13 has effectively made Windows 10 unusable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HenGus, Oct 11, 2017.

1. HenGus

HenGus Junior Member

I upgraded to Parallels 13 and immediately had problem signing in to Windows 10. When I eventually signed in, everything is running so slowly that is unusable as an OS. I have updated to the latest Parallels 13 build this morning, and it has taken me 12 minutes to get a sign in page. I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (17835a). My iMac is 4GHz Intel Core i7 with 32GB of memory and a 500GB SSD.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, I have checked that Windows 10 has all the latest updates. It has been re-set. I have re-installed Parallels Tools.

I am beginning to feel that my time is better spent switching all the work that I do to macOS.

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Before anything else, do a first aid check on your drive. Could simply be something horrid in the file system...

What is the CPU load showing if you run activity monitor?.
    There was an issue a while ago, if there was something in the OS causing a lot of interrupts, it could almost cause the machine to stop. CPU will be shooting up to near 100% if this is what is happening for you.
    If your CPU usage does shoot up, it could be the interrupt storm issue here:
    <http://kb.parallels.com/uk/122767>

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @HenGus , please follow the steps suggested in this article and let us know if that helps.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RogerH6 , if you are experince high CPU consumption, you can follow this article too. We appreciate your time and participation.

5. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I'm not. My system is now running fine.

6. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

7. HenGus

HenGus Junior Member

Update:

I went from a Parallels/Windows combination that was working fine until I upgraded to Parallels 13. After discussing the issue with some knowledgeable friends they suggested that I attempt to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10. This is where the fun really started. The installation would get to 99% and stall. After trying everything that I knew, I then spent time looking at various install options on the Web. Finally, I cam across a a Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant support article. Windows 10 v1709 loaded successfully after using SETUP in the media file. Thankfully, the problem is now resolved and Windows loads normally again at start up. It has though made me wary of upgrading Parallels in the future.