Parallels 9 ALWAYS shows Windows XP taskbar in Coherence Mode

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Docger, Nov 14, 2013.

1. backslash-f

backslash-f Bit poster

Same here. This is a serious regression, Parallels. Please fix it ASAP.

2. DavidJS

DavidJS Bit poster

I decided to reinstall a version previous to this catastrophe and all is well again. Once the older Parallels Tools finished installing and rebooting, then my Windows XP VM was completely back to normal.

On a related note, the complete lack of communication from Parallels support is unforgiveable and I will be looking to move to a product that has good support in the future.

3. GeroldF

GeroldF Bit poster

The same system, same problem (and others) and the same anger! :-(

Every new OSX version the same: You have to buy a new version of PDM, they promise new great features (who's needing), faster (sometimes) but still buggy (for sure).

I'm done with it. Guess i'll try VM-Ware Fusion next time ...

4. Docger

Docger Junior Member

Parallels "official response""

Hi everyone,
    The TaskBar in Coherence appears below the Dock on purpose. This is not a bug or anything - Parallels Desktop 9 has been designed this way.
    The reason to that is better support for full screen apps and Windows 8.

5. Docger

Docger Junior Member

And more from Parallels support:

You actually tune it with http://kb.parallels.com/117062 in Parallels Desktop 9.

Which of course is NOT a fix, but a very poor workaround.

6. Docger

Docger Junior Member

See this Knowledge Base article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/117062#AD

Funny though, the KB article state SPECIFICALLY:

"Resolution

Coherence view mode is designed to "remove" Windows Desktop and make Windows applications appear as if they are native Mac applications, that is why Windows Taskbar is by default hidden."

Well, the Windows Taskbar is NOT hidden and it is NOT the default and there is NO WAY to make it hidden. So, in essence Parallels has contradicted it's OWN Knowledge Base article.

7. GeroldF

GeroldF Bit poster

This "official response" is nonsense, why is this only a Windows XP "Feature"

In Windows 7 and 8 is the task bar-behavior selectable, why not in Windows XP?

Great support, thank you Parallels team :-(

8. Fletch

Fletch Bit poster

Same issue here with Windows 2K. It worked fine on the original Parallels 9 release. The first update to Parallels Tools has caused me the problem. I reverted back to an older VM I had backed up and all was as it was before. Then Tools auto updated and I'm back to not being able to hide the windows task bar. Is there a setting to prevent Tools from updating automatically?

9. VladimirF

VladimirF Bit poster

This is total BS!!!
    I do not want to see the Task Bar at all, no matter what the purpose is.
    For me - it is a bug, and a bad design.
    Please make it go away in Coherence as it used to be!

10. Docger

Docger Junior Member

The entire design of the current build of Parallels 9 is buggy.

Not only does the Windows taskbar appear at the bottom of the screen behind the Mac dock, the setting to turn the taskbar off is non-receptive when you click it.

Additionally, keeping Parallels active with Windows XP running in the background and then having my Mac go into sleep mode results in the Windows desktop showing and flickering when I wake my Mac back up.

On top of that, Parallels 9 is a memory hog. When I used Parallels 7 and Mountain Lion, I had no issues running both. Now with Mavericks, Parallels 9 and Quicken for Windows running, my MacBook was slow as molasses. I know it's Parallels, because when I quit Parallels my MacBook had NO performance issues.

I had to upgrade and add 4 GB of RAM so that I could actually work on my Mac and run Parallels with Mavericks. So, that was another $130 I had to shell out, in addition to the $49 I had to pay to "upgrade" to Parallels.

Right now, I'm not a happy camper.

11. GeroldF

GeroldF Bit poster

Hi there,

now, i have installed a old version 'ParallelsDesktop-9.0.23036.915397' and all my problems in XP and Windows 7 are history (so far).
    Sad, there is still no support or reaction from Parallels in this thread, really sad ...

12. Tjorners

Tjorners Bit poster

"Can I ask where you got the older version of PD9 that you mention ? I can see older versions before 9 to download but have only found the most current version of 9 so far on the Parallels pages.

13. Rockallite

Rockallite Bit poster

The official response is BS and makes no sense. What is Coherence Mode used for?

I uninstalled the current version 9.0.23350.941886 which is buggy, and installed an older version 9.0.23136.932290. Finally everything works again.

Conclusions:

1. Always keep the original installation package!

2. Seriously, I will tell everyone around to STAY AWAY from Parallels Desktop from now on.

3. I recommend VMWare Fusion instead.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  14. jshear

jshear Bit poster

I have same problem with current build I cannot hide windows taskbar. Please fix as this sucks.

Jeff

15. GeroldF

GeroldF Bit poster

Hi Domingo,

guess you'll find it the internet, maybe you ask Google about 'ParallelsDesktop-9.0.23036.915397' ;-)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  16. GeroldF

GeroldF Bit poster

17. jshear

jshear Bit poster

I re installed older version 915397 as per above post and now my windows task bar is hidden in Coherence mode. I hope Parallels fixes this problem in newer release.

Jeff

18. DStach

DStach Bit poster

Luckily I had a friend who upgraded recently, and he still had the .dmg file laying around, so I was able to downgrade. If you keep using Parallels after this fiasco, I would recommend downloading the latest .dmg to do your upgrades and to keep them laying around, as this company's support (or complete lack thereof) leaves a LOT to be desired.

19. SHELDONA

SHELDONA Bit poster

Yeah, this does not work either. :-(

20. BryanD1

BryanD1 Bit poster

Same issue here. Fortunately I had an older .dmg file and installed the older version which corrected this problem.